We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

coventry
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

I'm seriously considering an independent trip to Vietnam next year, Advice please for an older woman on her own. This would be my first solo trip but visited Thailand and Cambodia when accompanied.

Help or tips from other solo travellers would be useful, and note of any particular problems that I might have on my own. Is English widely spoken? Would I have difficulty getting around? My interest is in culture, scenery, food and cooking. I would like to get to Hanoi, Hcmc, Halong Bay, Sa pa, Hoi Ann and anywhere else that I really shouldn't miss. I plan to visit for about 3 weeks. When is best? Any useful web-sites would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,001 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
The Ann Hanoi
The Ann Hanoi
501 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Sheila r, don't fool yourself, 64 is not 'older', just more experienced.! From my experience in Vietnam, albiet traveling with a companion but running into lots of single travelers, you will not have any trouble. English is spoken widely. You choice of destinations is similar to those we visited and there are lots of cooking schools, cultural tours and wonderful sights to see. You may want to look at the vietnamonline.com.uk site, they are affiliated with the AUS company that we booked through. They put together small trips to destinations that they combine together. Their in country agent, Asian Trails, dis an excellent job in arranging EVERYTHING for us, provided when and where it was supposed to be. Highly recommended.

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Hi Sheila

I travelled for almost 4 weeks alone in Vietnam in December 2009.

I planned the entire trip myself and my previous experience of SE Asia was limited to Thailand, so you have more experience than I had (I leave for Cambodia in 2 weeks so I'm catching up!). I read this forum for almost a year before my trip and picked up all my hotel recommendations on here.

Whilst I say "I travelled alone", I met more people on this trip than anywhere else I have been. Young Vietnamese people often approached me to ask if they could practise their English, which was delightful, and the nature of travellers in Vietnam just seems to be friendlier and people strike up conversations easily.

my trip report is here -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k330…

and if there is anything else I can help you with, just shout up.

Happy travels

Trisha

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Shiela..... Vietnam is one of the safest countries to travel in and with the exception of paying attention to petty theft, you should be fine. I would suggest that you do not spent too much time worrying about pre planning and find things to enjoy while you are here. Cooking classes, tours, and travel can be booked on the fly. The best time of year for a cuntry wide visit is in Mar-June in my opinion, just check out the weather charts here

owee58.com/2011/…

Happy planning

Owee

www.owee58.com

Mentioned in this post
coventry
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Thanks for your reply. Are there any particular hotels/guesthouses that you

would reccommend, especially in Hanoi?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Sheila, I'm about the same age as you and am also a solo female traveller. As a repeat visitor I can promise you that Vietnam is an absolute doddle for solo travel no matter what your age, although I do find there are certain advantages to having a few extra years on the clock. For a start, older people tend to be treated with respect and concern for their welfare, which is a novel experience for someone from the UK!

Re hotels, most destinations in Vietnam are awash with places to stay so it would be helpful if you could let us know your approximate budget and particular requirements. Armed with that information I could certainly suggest appropriate hotels or guesthouses in Hanoi.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
coventry
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Thanks for your reply. I would be looking for budget accommodation that is spotlessly clean, breakfast included, possibly with restaurant and travel information. I will be staying in Hanoi to begin with, then travelling to Hoi an with hopes of doing cookery course. I've been looking at accommodation on tripadvsor and there seems to be plenty to choose from, but I would hope to be somewhere interesting and good access to other places. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

There are very few budget hotels that offer meals other than breakfast, but who wants to be closeted in one's hotel when there are so many interesting places at which to eat.

I think you might be surprised by the standard of accommodation in Vietnam, even at the lower end of the price scale. I've yet to come across a hotel that's anything other than spotlessly clean and all offer breakfast and travel advice. Moreover en suite bathrooms, air conditioning, satellite TV and much more come as standard.

I haven't been to Hoi An for a couple of years so am not up to scratch on accommodation there, but I've just got back to the UK after a 6-week stay at the Symphony Hotel in Hanoi. Low cost, centrally located, young, enthusiastic and friendly staff and a room that was suitable for living in as well as sleeping. Had it not been up to scratch I would have moved on, but that was certainly not necessary.

There are many others in the same price range (I paid $23 per night, but that was a reduced rate for a long stay), so I would suggest that you work your way through the Trip Advisor hotel reviews, draw up a shortlist and then return here for comments.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
coventry
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Thank you.

I will do some more research.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Hi Sheila,

I am also a solo woman traveller of "getting up there" years (!) and travelled in Vietnam for 17 days last November. It was one of the easiest countries to travel in and I had no problems. The Vietnamese people, for the most part, were lovely; I did get a little irritated by the shopkeepers who hounded me relentlessly in various towns, trying to get me to buy things... After awhile, it got a bit thin, if you get my drift! But I stayed in a great hotel in Hoi An, in the old part of the city (most interesting) called Ha An Hotel - old white charming Colonnial hotel with very nice rooms and rates were about $60 a night last year.... close to great restaurants and lots of shops and right in the middle of the old town of Hoi An. In Hanoi, I stayed at another great hotel called Hotel Elegance 3 - again in the best part of Hanoi, IMO, the old quarter. I highly recommend both. It really is easy to travel in Vietnam. You just go with the flow. You need to keep an eye on your belongings when your out and about; watch out for pick pockets. I usually kept my cash strategically placed on my body rather than in my purse just in case... but never had a problem and I travelled for 6 weeks on my own through Vietnam, southern China, Cambodia and Thailand. It was wonderful! You meet so many more people when you are travelling on your own! i hope you have a wonderful trip! The Vietnamese food is unbelievable. Tastes so good and they present it like works of art. I used to take pictures of my meals before I ate them because they were so exquisitely presented!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Ha An Hotel
Ha An Hotel
1,617 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female, 64, travelling alone - needs tips and advice

Cant help with being a woman but I am 72 and go to Vietnam on my own at least 5 times a year. It is so easy and you will be noticed and appreciated. Just be

Mentioned in this post