We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

Forest Park, il
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

My wife and I will be making our first trip to Vietnam next April. We will be stopping in Hong Kong and Thailand before heading to Vietnam.

Is it a good idea to book hotels and/or flights in advance, or can we kinda of wing it and book as we go. Since we've never been there before we would like to be flexible if possible. We may find a city like Hanoi and decide we nee more time there, instead of moving on to another city.

It looks like flights are relatively inexpensive when you book on line, but for that low price you cannot make changes? Will hotels be crowed at that time of year, or will we have some options on lodging if we wait till the last minute?

Here is a tentative itinerary I came up with after reviewing numerous posts on this forum. Any and all comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Travel Lv BKK on Viet at 11:55; Ar HAN at 13:45

2 Visit Ha Long Bay

3 Visit Ha Long Bay

4 Visit Hanoi

5 Travel Lv Hanoi for Hoi An or Hue

6 Visit Hoi An or Hue

7 Visit Hoi An or Hue

8 Travel Ar HCMC

9 Visit HCMC

10 Travel Lv HCMC on CX 766 at 11:25: Ar Hong Kong at 15:10

Thanks!

Tom

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

Hi Tom, we did VN and Cambodia in May this year, traveled for one month, and the weather was good, but getting humid and sticky in parts. You should not have much trouble with booking hotels once you arrive, however it may be an idea to have at least the first night booked so that you can arrive relatively hassle free. We actually had all our bookings done before arriving and liked the way it worked for us and possibly worked out a bit cheaper with the agency, Asian Trails, doing all the work for us. Your itinerary is a bit rushed for my liking, you may want to reconsider trying to fit the north and south in on such a relatively short trip and concentrate more on the north and include Sapa, or the south and include the Mekong Delta. Basically at the moment you have two pretty hectic cities with Hue or Hoi An in the middle. Both Hue and Hoi Ann are places to visit in their own right and have different attractions. Happy trails!

Greg

Forest Park, il
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

Is Hoi An pretty much a beach town? We will be coming off of a two month trip to Mexico, which is our winter beach get away time. Maybe we should skip Hoi An/Hue and just concentrate on Hanoi and HCMC?

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

Is Hoi An pretty much a beach town? We will be coming off of a two month trip to Mexico, which is our winter beach get away time. Maybe we should skip Hoi An/Hue and just concentrate on Hanoi and HCMC?

Yes it is. And during April in is hot/humid and the beach is a nice relaxing place. you should atleast visit for a day or two.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

We didn't even see the beach in Hoi an as we stayed in town. I wouldn't miss Hue and Hoi An on a visit to Vietnam.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

Tom, sounds way too rushed to me. Maybe you should consider dropping Halong Bay and spend extra nights in Hanoi, Hoian and Saigon. It is a 3 hour car trip from Hanoi to Halong Bay. I'm presuming you intend to take a boat cruise of Halong, which would be great, but then rush back to Hanoi for only 1 night before moving on. We started off with an itinerary like yours but thought better to see a few places well than rush from place to place exhausting ourselves. We too are traveling in April, 5 nights Hanoi, 3d/2n Halong Bay junk cruise, 5 nights Hoian and 3 nights Saigon.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

I made my own flight reservations for my in-country flights on Vietnam airlines. Then I decided I wanted to change a date slightly and it was only a $12 change fee (a very welcome change from airlines here in US).

7. Re: Vietnam in April- My Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 10:28