We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

hey guys im heading to Hanoi in late January. im there for 5 or so days then flying down to Da Nang and staying in Hue for most of the time an Hoi An maybe a night or two. I will catch the train from Da Nang to Hue.

do you guys recommend that I take a daypack and a large backpack for everything or take a daypack and a wheelie suitcase?

thanks for your help

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

I prefer a suitcase these days, a lot easier to find stuff when you get to your hotel and keeps your clothes in a marginally better state than a backpack. Also a lot safer & easier to keep locked up.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

Agree with CAGV. We know how to pack and can get away with one mid sized suitcase each with rollers and a handle. We also have a backpack for going shopping and the odd laptop and my photo backpack of course. There is no reason to use a 'real' backpack that you park in the hotel like we park our suitcases.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,212 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

I'm with CAGV, I take a medium wheelie suitcase because I like flat clothes and not having to unpack the whole thing to find one item :-) DH takes a backpack because he obsesses about the "perfect" way to pack and for now he thinks it's a backpack (I disagree :-) ). Really up to you.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

Hi,

I recommend a suitcase for important stuffs. It is much safer and more convenient for regular moving.

Cheers!!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

YorkFoodie, who's doing the ironing in your family? I do my own, hence no backpack :-)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

I saw a lot of people in Vietnam with a backpack on the back and a daypack on the front. Looked kinda silly if you ask me.

We managed with a medium size duffle bag and a carryon laptop bag apiece. Easy to carry, can use carryon only for in-country flights, and the stuff lies flat in there. It is much lighter for toting than a wheelie bag. Mine was an Eagle Creek bag from REI, size medium. I put my folded shirts and pants in a couple of 2 gallon size ziplock bags to compress the air out and keep them folded flat (and dry, as we did have a spill).

I also brought a very light daypack to use when we were in one place and didn't have to take everything along. It was very handy. Held water bottles (a MUST in Vietnam), a notebook, etc. Easy to tuck under my arm to keep it safer.

The roads and sidewalks aren't that great so I wouldn't depend too much on the wheels, myself.

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

Although I have never been to Vietnam we have travelled in Asia and Europe with just a backpack. We only take carryon luggage and it means it is easy to e ton and off transport, in and out of hotels and we also get off planes really quickly too.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

I use a combo bag, wheelie that converts to a backpack for easy carrying if need be....holds quite a bit....the most convenient bag I've used so far.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

We take a middle sized suitcase but I like drifters idea of a combo bag wheelie, sounds great for travelling.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitcase or Backpack for 2 week Holiday in Nam?

The real benefit of travelling in VN is that you really dont need much. I come for a week at a time using a soft wheelie bag, and with a netbook, and swim fins my weight has never exceeded 9kgs. This gives me carry on and first off.

Cheers Ross