We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does this itinerary sound?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How does this itinerary sound?

Hi All,

I am narrowing down my trip. How does this look? How long does it take to get from Danang to Hue and then from Hue to Hoi An?

6/27 – Arrive 10:30am – explore HCMC

6/28 HCMC Tour with Hot Pot Kids

6/29-30 Mekong Delta/Cu Chi combined 2 day 1 night tour with Jason SS

7/1 HCMC

7/2 Fly HCMC to Danang transfer to Hue

7/2-7/4 – Hue and vicinity transfer to Hoi An 7/4

7/4 -7/8Hoi An fly to Hanoi

7/9 Hanoi - Hanoi Kids

7/10-7/12 Halong Bay

7/12 return to Hanoi

7/13 Hanoi and night train to Sapa

7/14-7/15 Sapa

7/15 Sapa and night train to Hanoi

7/16 Hanoi

7/17 Goodbye Vietnam

Thanks!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,634 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

looks good to me

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

Nothing wrong with where you are going, just when you are going.

You can expect huge amounts of rainfall in HCMC and Hanoi in June/July which is right in the middle of rainy season there.

www.vietnamtravelguide.com/weather.html

Any chance you can re-schedule?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

Is there any particular reason why you plan to fly to Danang, immediately transfer north to Hue, backtrack south to Hoi An and then fly north from there (or rather Danang) to Hanoi? If not, it would make much more sense to fly to Danang and stay in Hoi An first, then transfer to Hue and fly from there to Hanoi.

One other minor thing, the university student guides in HCMC are called Saigon Hotpot rather Hot Pot Kids.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

on 7/2 you plan to fly to Danang then transfer straight to Hue? You would be much better off flying into Hue, there are several flights daily from HCMC to Hue and you will save 2-3hrs traveling from Danang airport....

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will change accordingly. unfortunately, July is the summer break and it is either go in July or don't go at all.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

Does this sound better?

6/27 – Arrive 10:30am – explore HCMC

6/28 HCMC Tour with Saigon HotPot

6/29-30 Mekong Delta/Cu Chi combined 2 day 1 night tour with Jason SS

7/1 HCMC

7/2 Fly HCMC to Danang transfer to Hoi An

7/2-7/5 – Hoi An and transfer to Hue on the 5th

7/5 -7/8 Hue and fly to Hanoi on 7/8

7/9 Hanoi - Hanoi Kids

7/10-7/12 Halong Bay

7/12 Return to Hanoi

7/13 Hanoi and night train to Sapa

7/14-7/15 Sapa

7/15 Sapa and night train to Hanoi

7/16 Hanoi

7/17 Goodbye Vietnam

How should we transfer from Hoi An to Hue and how long will it take?

Thanks!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

looks good. You can get from Hoi An to Hue by private car, taxi, train, bus or motorbike tour. Personally I think motorbike is a great way to go (as a passenger of course) but all options have pros and cons, its upto you. If you go direct or just 1 stop it will take about 3.5hrs, or you can make lots of stops and take around 6hrs.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

The train does not run between Hoi An and Danang, you need to get a transfer to Danang to commence the train trip. The trip is scenic and follows the coast most of the way and takes about two hours, after a transfer of about 35 mins from Hoi An. Alternatively you could get a car and driver from Hoi An to Hue and travel over the mountain range, via the pass, for some great views and photo opportunities. With a family traveling I don't think the option of motor bike is really suitable for you. You may also want to consider doing Sapa before Halong Bay for a bit of a rest before flying out, however with your planned dates this would mean you would miss the Sunday market at Bac Ha.

Greg

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

in my opinion, you can do Sapa before Halong bay trip. Because it's better to relax on boat after your trekking trip. Moreover if you arrange the suitable time from Hue to Hanoi, you can save a night in Hanoi. daily flight from Hue to Hanoi at: 8:00Am, 2:20PM and 10:10PM and night train from Hanoi to Laocai(Sapa) at : 9:10PM and 9:55PM.

Hope this help!

TSA

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does this itinerary sound?

I think that I might make another change. I may take out Hue. I'm concerned that we are moving around too much with 4 kids. We would just stay in Hoi An and do simple day trips from there as we are motivated. Is this a mistake?

I also think that I may change Halong Bay to after Sapa.

Thanks again!