We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Vietnam with teens

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
756 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Vietnam with teens

I have been reading the forums and looked at utube footage of crossings. My god how am I going to get safely across with hubby and four teens aged 19 17 15 13. ( I can feel the stress rising thinking about it)

Are the food markets easy to avoid or are they with the clothes markets???? I do appreciate that this is their culture and I'm not judging But it makes me feel not good when I hear of the killing of all sorts of animals.

Will the teens enjoy Vietnam???? Or are we better off visiting Thailand instead.....

I think I've had too long to plan this trip!!!! This will be prob be our last family holiday

We are travelling oct/nov

Thanks again

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Provided your children realise that crossing the road is not a form of fun then you'll have no difficulty. They will have much more alertness. You no doubt will have researched the "how to cross" rules.

Food markets will not worry you and I think your kids will enjoy VN provided its not a cultural holiday-they will soon tire of museums and the like.

Do ask them not to be "the ugly tourist" and VN kids will relate to them.

Cheers Ross

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

I think your kids will really enjoy Vietnam. Every place has it's problems, but your teens need to see the real world too. Crossing the street has been overblown in my opinion - far more dangerous is riding in a cab!

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
756 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Hi Ross

I have well and truly researched the how to cross the road rules, .

They would never be the ugly tourist ( there is nothing worse)

And are really respectfull kids. I'm hoping they can catch up with some uni students in Hanoi by the llake and as the two older boys are red heads I'm sure they'll attract a bit of attention.

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
756 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Hi daawgon

Thanks I agree. That's why I really want to travel there so the kids can appreciate different culture.

I am soo hoping that the road crossing is not as bad as I'm thinking. I have friends who have travelled and said its not too bad. But the videos look pretty scary!,,,,

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Crossing the road is not that difficult. As with that 10 meter jump into the pool it is the first step off the sidewalk/board that is hard. Just watch all the other people do it. And do not for a second believe that traffic lights will be observed by anyone except pedestrians.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 10:16
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,911 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Well I'm still alive darkiel, despite many hundreds of road crossings in Hanoi!

If you find the roads surrounding the lake intimidating, then walk halfway down the road that runs along the western side and press the button on the light at the pedestrian crossing. Miraculously, all traffic stops when the light turns red. There are also 2 sets of traffic lights at the southern end of the lake that are fairly well obeyed.

Those roads are wide but the ones in the Old Quarter and Cathedral District are narrow and crossing them is a doddle. Away from those 2 areas there are many traffic lights, but watch out for motorbikes turning right against the lights before you step out.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 10:47
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Advice ..."If you walk don't look and if you look don't walk!!"

Travelled with 19/17/11/9 yo last year we all made it!!!!!

And this included 19 &17 yo coming home and flying to and staying inHCMC by themselves

Kids loved it - there is such a variety of things to do etc.

You'll have fun...have been to Thailand a few times and Vietnam is much more grassroots.

Have fun!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

We were just in Vietnam over Christmas with kids 19 and 16. They all loved it, and yes crossing the road can be a challenge but once you get the hang of it, it's not hard - just slow and steady. Things the teens enjoyed the most - Halong Bay, Taste of Hoi An street food tour, cooking class in Hoi An, bicycle tour in Hoi An, just walking around Hoi An on their own, and CuChi tunnels. Here is a link to my trip report with lots of details of what we did: fodors.com/community/asia/christmas-in-vietn…

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
756 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

Familyof4

Thanks great posting

Very helpfully

Cheers

10. Re: Safety in Vietnam with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 10:18