We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

injections from oz to vietnam

bunbury
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
injections from oz to vietnam

what injections/inoculations are needed for a short stay in Vietnam?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,323 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

You would do better to ask your doctor, but up to date on your tetanus, and Hep A and B are always a good idea.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

If it is a really short stay, say for business, none, probably. As the person would stay in 4-5 star accommodations and probably also dine there.

Tetanus is alway good, even when one does not travel. Hep A is also good, and for the same reason. Hep B is very optional.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

I have been to Vietnam quite a few times and to SEA countless.

I have had NO injections.

I have also travelled to India & Egypt-no injections.

One of the girls on my tour to India had all the appropriate injections and had a reaction to them.

For a short stay I would not worry at all.

bunbury
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

thanks for your reply...must admit I don't think any are necessary

5. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 09:58
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

Have to agree with Marley, many trips to SEA with our family & haven't had any injections for us or our daughter - I checked out a very informative website www.credence.org and read up lots on vaccinations there & www.mercola.com too. Good to be informed!

Devonport, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

I cannot agree that injections are not necessary when you travel to Vietnam or any other country come to that. Tetanus is a must in any country and Hep A & B very advisable.Typhoid is an infectious disease caused by contaminated water or food and can kill. While the risk is very small why would you take any risk when all you have to do is have a few injections.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

Typhoid 'injection' comes as a pill. I've got mine ready to take a month before leaving.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

The risks depend on how you will be travelling. If you will be using bottled water to brush teeth, eating in upmarket establishments etc the need for precautions is very low. But if you are 'budget' travelling, street food, local ice etc then you should probably get a few jabs.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: injections from oz to vietnam

I'd certainly make sure childhood Immunisations are up to date and as mentioned Hep A and tetanus (tetanus should be up to date all the time wherever you are).

Sure, some people do go to places unprotected but just the other day it was reported that cases of malaria are estimated to be under reported by half. http://www.malaria.com/ Certainly the UK has seen an increase in cases of tropical diseases. I doubt if Oz would be any different. At the end of the day, it's your life and if you do go down with .

If you do have jabs etc do make sure you have them well before you leave. O&OR says he is having a typhoid 'pill' one month before he leaves...... I had a typhoid jab in 2007, about a month before my holiday. I nearly never made it. I had such a bad reaction (even though I'd had a typhoid jabs years before without any problems) that it really was touch and go as to whether I'd be putting off the trip.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 18:08