We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

xgx
london
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

I have been meeting some fellow travelers during last 2 weeks while I'm travelling through SE. Have to say the stories I have heard so far about Vietnam, from 6 different people from different countries, is not so encouraging. One girl advised me to cut Dalat out from my itinerary so I could travel on the train (apparently better than bus). But Dalat is, according to reviews, books, quite different from other parts of Vietnam. please advise me on transportation, so I could make a decision or at least better prepared.

I was planning on leaving from HCMC > Dalat > Hoi An > Hue > Hanoi in a total of about 17-20 days.

the bus from HCMC to Dalat is about 5-6 hours according to schedule, how long does it take in reality? how's the condition of the road and bus? I travel alone, but 5-6 hours I probably can handle it.

my research shows there is no major city I could reach from Dalat in 5-6 hours, the closest seems is Nha Trang, 12 hours or more?

Is there sleeper bus going from Dalat to Hoi An? bus and road condition? is it safe? (will someone go through your luggage on the bus at night etc)

if I take Dalat out from my route, does Reunification Express stop at Hoi An and Hue, or I have to take it from HCMC to Danang, then bus to Hoi An? how long will that train take from HCMC to Danang? is there trustworthy bus company at train station to Hoi An, such as Mekong Express kind?

if the Reunification Express doesn't stop at Hoi An or Hue, is there other option rather than turn back to Danang to take it from there to Hanoi?

How long will the train take from Hanoi to Nanning, China? is there any bus option? how's the bus and road condition?

If I cross into China from Dongzing, how would I get there from Hanoi?

sorry for bombing you guys with questions. millions thanks in advance.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

Hi,

You can get from Dalat to Nha Trang in about 4 hours, not 12. There are loads of buses everyday.

There are lots of sleeper buses, but if you are travelling along the coast then train is better.

you can look at this link for an idea of open tour bus schedules and prices:

sinhcafe.com/english_info/info_opentour.htm

The trains stop at both Danang (40mins north of Hoi An ) and at Hue.

you can look here for all train schedules, and also info on travelling to china from Vietnam:

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

xgx
london
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

thank you very much for the info. I'm interested in seeing Dalat, but not really interested in Nha Trang, enough beaches for me. how long will the bus take from Dalat to Hoi An? is there any direct bus, reasonably good condition, or I have to change/stay in Nha Trang before I reach next major coastal city? I'd rather buy point-to-point bus, not the open tour bus, as the books all advised against it and all the bad stories I've heard about open tour bus. Once I get back on coast line, I will take the trains.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

Rather than returning to the coast you could take point to point buses through the Central Highlands (Dalat-Buon Ma Thuot-Pleiku-Kon Tum-Hoi An), or if cost and time aren't issues the 6-day motorbike journey with a Dalat Easy Rider on the same route is a blast.

xgx
london
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

thank you for suggestion, i'm afraid I don't have that much time for 6-day moto ride, sounds like much fun though. dalat > nha trang, 4 hours, stay overnight, then nha trang > hoi an (?) train or danang train then bus to hoi an, looks like my only option if i choose to go Dalat. maybe I could stay on a overnight train to Danang rather than stay at nha trang to save some time and cost.

Hamilton Parish...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

We used the Dongxiang border crossing near Mong Cai to reach Nanning. Many buses from Hanoi to Halong Bay (31/2 hrs) - well worth spending a day there then a bus from the Bai Chay bus station to Mong Cai (100,000 d) on a good bitumen road (31/2 hours). Border post just a few Km from Mong Cai -pay a 20000d exit fee and with a valid visa the rest is easy. Pay 10 RMB for motor bike taxi to the bus station then 55 RMB for a luxurious bus to Nanning (3hrs). Only problem we had on 12/02/2012 was lack of spoken English in Mong Cai.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 10:03
6. Re: Bus to/from Dalat, and Bus/Train to from Hanoi to China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 10:23