We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription glasses

Hamilton, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription glasses

Has anyone bought prescription glasses in Vietnam if so where.. and how much???? Also what were the frames like? We are leaving New Zealand in 3 weeks. Thanks.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription glasses

I hade a pair made in Hoi An last May and have worn them continuosly since without problem. My glasses are multi focul, treated with anti glare and darken in the sunlight (I cant think of the name for this process, old timers hitting in;)) I can't think of the name of the shop either, but it is in a side street just opposite the Vin Hung 2 hotel. The glasses were ready within 18 hours and cost USD110. There are many places around to get a similar deal.

Greg

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription glasses

It just came to me, transitional - gets darker in the sunlight!

Greg

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
413 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription glasses

My husband and father bought some while in HCMC last year.

My husband bought glasses for reading - at about 6pm got eyes tested, picked up 2 pairs of reading glasses at 11am the next morning for approx AUD$120 for both.

My dad who has more eye issues got 2 pairs - 1 transitional, 1 for long distance. He used one of his frames for the transitional and the two pairs cost him aud$130.

If you're in HCMC the road that runs along the top of Binh Tan Markets there are lots of optometrists. I have posted on this last year, so maybe do a search.

Sue

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription glasses

Hmmm.... Hoi An is a bit pricey compared to other cities. InNha Trang, I have light thin lensed tinting progressives made for 60 dollars including an unbreakable titanium frame. This is after 4 other pairs of glasses over the past 2 years (lost or broke) which also cost the same. The same glasses were quoted at 80 dollars in Saigon.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription glasses

I think the fact that mine are multi focal adds to the price rather than just a standard short/long distance correction.

Greg

6. Re: Prescription glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:17