We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - La Gi

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - La Gi

I have settled back now in La Gi (120 klms north of HCMC).

Staying at my favourite hotel, the Thanh Binh (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1582966-d21625…).

I just love this town.... so laid back and relaxed.

The prime seafood in season right now.... sea scallops !! Costing only about $1.30 AUD per kilo. Last night, sat around in a big circle with the family eating BBQ scallops with the special local spices and seasoning.

Climate now in last days of April is fantastic. Cool mornings with warm days and humidity not too bad.

My ritual each morning is a walk across the road for the coffee across the road... traditional VN style and only 10,000 dong over ice.

A new place opened since I was last here..... they do Chicken leg with thigh attached BBQ'ed in a unique way.... just melts in the mouth and oh so tasty. (2 legs, 2 thin slices of BBQ pork cop and seasoned rice for just 45,000 dong.)

Off to the local beach this afternoon with the kids.

I am here for the next couple months and will post further updates if you are interested to read.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

I have friends from LaGi and visited them there 2 years ago....great little town....friendly people and very very few tourists.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Good report Darwin. I do love scallops. Give us a surf report when you get to the beach, also whether there is any rubbish down there. By the way how did you get there, from HCMC or down from Phan Thiet ?

Cheers Ross

Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Always interested to hear about places a little bit 'off the beaten track' from the usual tourist spots. Also, love to hear about the food yummo!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
885 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Yum, yum.

Can you tell us a bit about the town?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

UPDATE:-

Came to La Gi via bus from Vung Tau (only 2 hours). There are mini-buses that go from HCMC to La Gi leaving every couple hours costing 100k dong. Have not done that bus run yet this year. Last year was a 3 and 1/2 hour trip if we could miss the traffic by leaving very early, other wise was 4 - 5 hours. I am told it is now a minimum 5 and 1/2 hours due to new speed restrictions that are actively enforced by Police.

Went to the town beach yesterday afternoon. Being a public holiday, I expected a crowd, but not like what I actually saw. Thousands of people stretched along the beach in either direction. AS to be expected, the locals just dumped their rubbish everywhere. Not a single trash can to be seen anywhere. As for surf.... just very small breakers, so no surf to speak of. I have seen bigger waves on Lake Michigan.

And..... I was the only Caucasian on the beach. In fact, I have not seen any other Caucasians at all here yet this year.

In spite of the public holidays with all hotels full and extended families crowding out the houses, this town is still very quiet. Love it.

Saw a convoy this morning while having coffee... Six bullock carts following one behind the other cruising by. As usual, when you have the ideal photo, the camera was back in the hotel room.

Last night, went to another family house for more beers and scallops. Wee bit hungover this morning, but at under 50 cents a can, it's hard not to ask for one more 333 beer. So much cheaper here than HCMC. Box of 24 cans of 333 is 210,000 dong. (just under $10).

For Lunch today, had two "Vietnam SubWay" sandwiches. The bread here in La Gi I think is the best in all of VN. So on a bread roll/baguette, they put pork sausage and salad with seasoning. Two of them for 16,000 dong. (yes, that's just 75 cents)

Tonight we are heading to a little cafe/restaurant about 100 metres from the hotel. I'm not into chilli fried chicken legs they specialize in, but will woof into the chilli beef strips. They also do Prawns and Bugs, but current market price is a bit steep at the moment. They also do Pho. So that is their menu....just 5 choices. It is a great little place.... very friendly people in this town and whenever I go there, anyone with a smidgin of English language tries it out with me.

There is a dark side to this town.... A tourist would probably never see it, however, there are heroin users in this town and am told the number is very high. Along with them comes the mafia, but as I said, a tourist would likely never see the dark side of the town. Only through family and the lengthy visits I have had here have I come across the mafia.

A couple of you asked for more info about the town of La Gi... If you go to the hotel link in my original post, and page down to the first review which is mine. There I have detailed quite a bit about the town.

Also, I am looking into buying a hotel here. (my retirement plan)

When I get to it... I'll create a Flicker account or some other photo hosting site and post La Gi photos. Any recommendations on which site is best for pics?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Also to advise.... the wife needs some dental work done. Requires a few bad molars taken out and she wants implants. Was quoted at least $3000 a tooth in Australia. Wife is getting them all done here in La Gi at a good dentist for a cost of about $600 for the lot. Was quoted a price of around $1500 in Saigon (HCMC) for the same.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

I hope this link works..... photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myvietnamid/

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

I am trying to locate a battlefield from the Vietnam war. I read about it on a VN website in Vietnamese. Does not say where it is, but only says that the NVA set up an ambush against the Americans very close to LaGi. Of course to the victor goes the bragging rights saying 40 NVA killed versus the hundreds of Americans. If anyone knows where this battlefield is, it would be appreciated if you could share that with me. I have been asking the older locals here but so far no joy in finding it.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 12:18
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Thanks DA. If you buy a hotel then let me know and I'll come for a bed and a beer. Sad about the drug use.

Cheers Ross

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - La Gi

Thanks Darwin, I'm loving your report, it's like being there with you.