We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So here we come...on honeymoon!!

Mayo,Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
So here we come...on honeymoon!!

Hi All,

Seems like no time since I was on getting advice about our honeymoon in July, cant believe its here so quickly! If you'll remember I posted our itinery last year, we land in Hanoi on July 25th, 2 nights there in May de Ville Old quarter Hotel, then 1 night in Halong Bay on Indochina junk, fly to Danang and transfer to Hoi An for 6 nights relaxing in Life Heritage Resort, then fly to HCM for 3 nights in Liberty Central and finally flights to Bangkok for our final 3 nights in the Chatrium Riverside. At the time I was concerned about the heat but Creaking Bones your idea of cocktails and seafood under a beach umbrella sold it to me!

I'm really just looking for advice now about what kind of clothing to pack, particularly footwear. Don't want to just bring flip flops if the rain is going to be torrential! Are light tops ok or will it get chilly at night? Also, we've had all our vaccinations and will be taking malaria tabs for the Mekong Delta but is there any other tablets we should consider to help us acclimatise to the food and all?

Lastly, we have tours and sightseeing arranged in the cities but nothing planned for Hoi An? Wouldn't mind a cookery course, has anyone any suggestions of a must do?

Thanks in advance guys

XO Tours
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Le Family Rider
City Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Hanoi Street Food Tour
Food Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Cooking Classes, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Back of the Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Private Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

I suggest doing Neville Dean;s Taste of Hoi an Street Food Tour. IWe did it in April and thoroughly enjoyed it. He took us round the markets and into restaurants.There were about 40 things we got to taste and Neville himself has a tale or two to tell. Have a look at his website. Have a great time and a honeymoon to remember

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

It will be hot so no fears of things getting chilly at night. You'll probably bring a light seater for the plane anyway (at least I get really cold on planes) and that will do perfectly. Hanoi in particular is likely to be raining, but what you want is something that will dry quickly, so sandals or flip flops will fit the bill. Rain boots are just too bulky and given the heat and humidity too hot as well.

In Hanoi I'd recommend the Hanoi Cooking Center market tour and cooking class. If either of you like photography, in Hoi an you may want to take a look at the Hoi An Photo Tour: http://www.hoianphototour.com/

Congratulations, and enjoy your honeymoon!

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

Hey Tracy,

As an aussie, flip-flops (or thongs, in OZ) are an iconic footwear and considered the ultimate in casual comfort. I believe that you will find that they are an excellent choice in VN considering the humidity, heat etc... The only time I felt the need for shoes was when I was trekkiing, or riding the moto for a long distance.

As for wearing light tops etc... I am a bloke and should not comment, as my standard attire consists totally of singlets, walk shorts and thongs (footwear that is).

Don't make the mistake of over-packing as there are so many places to purchase relevent clothing on the cheap.

I am heading to the Mekong in 4 weeks and have had neither vaccinations nor tablets!!! Please don't get paranoid about the bugs and insects as all of our countries of origin have their own nasties, no more, no less.(if you have not heard back from me in 6 weeks, please disregard the previous comment)

The same goes for food. The cuisine here is fresh and delectable but your palate may decide otherwise occasionally, but the discomfort is generally brief.

I understand that you want to maximise your experience in VN but don't stress about things you have no control over.

Have an awesome honeymoon,

Mark

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

I think the others have covered just about everything Tracy, so this is just to wish you well on the big day and throughout your time in Vietnam. Don't forget the sunscreen, and enjoy those cocktails!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

i AM WONDERING WHO RECOMMENDED MALARIA TABLETS FOR THE mEKONG dELTA. wHEN i VISITED IN 2011 i CHECKED OUT THE wORLD hEALTH oRGANIZATION WEBSITE AND ONLY A SMALL REGION OF THE mEKONG (NOT USUALLY VISITED BY TOURISTS) and another small region on the Cambodian border in the Central Highlands had a risk of malaria. Perhaps that has changed now. . As well as being expensive, anti malarials can have unpleasant side effects. No point in loading yourself with medication unless necessary.

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

All the best for your big day Tracey and have an amazing honeymoon!!

We're also off to Vietnam for our honeymoon in December! Would love to hear about your travels when you return.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

Excellent advice from the other posters - the only point I would disagree on is the use of flip flops. The standard flip flops are too slippery on some of the pavement surfaces in Vietnam when they get wet - so much so that it's almost like ice skating, and the prospect of slipping and falling and creating an open wound when you are on holiday isn't worth contemplating.

We buy the sandals that velcro on and we make sure we get the ones with a more 'grippy' sole. They're great for wading through puddles because they dry quickly.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 02:04
Italy
Level Contributor
39,504 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

I wouldn't take Malaria tablets for the Mekong, just take a good insect repellent. Flip flops with the velcro are the best solution as even in torrential rain they're the best option as trainers and leather shoes get soaked and don't dry out for days.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
299 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

In HoiAn, the Cinammon Cruise is a nice thing to do: you will get a foot massage, a cooking class and then eat what you cooked while cruising on the River.

We did it during our great tour of Vietnam and really enjoyed it. And the chef aboard was really funny. We had a great time! (I don't know if they own several boats aka employ several chefs).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So here we come...on honeymoon!!

Hi

We did 3 weeks in Vietnam with one pair of thongs each, and will do the same this year. Light clothing is fine and maybe a light cardigan.

In Hoi An we did the Red Bridge cooking School, it was brilliant.

Have fun, can't wait to be back ourselves in 6 weeks.