We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going south from Ninh Binh

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Going south from Ninh Binh

After booking a cheap flight from Australia when Airasia had their sale I`m trying to put the stages together.

We`re flying in and out of Ho Chi Minh as that was the offer and will continue on with an internal flight to Hanoi. After 3 nights there, will do the 3 day 2 night Halong Bay and take a transfer straight to Ninh Binh.

Have to spend time in Ninh Binh. Had this thread saved for years as it seemed so amazing,

tripadvisor.com/…0

Not sure if I want to chance it or not but it sure seems like the experience you just never forget. Think there are better places to go compared to when the writers went.

Finally getting to the point. After 3 nights in Ninh Binh do we need to return to Hanoi for flights to Hoi An or is there a better way? Like to do my own arranging but maybe a travel agent would be able to put thing together better.

Don`t want bus and the train times don`t seem terribly convenient.

Wonder what others have done?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going south from Ninh Binh

Apart from the train (forget the bus, it's a nightmare journey), the only option if you don't want to return to Hanoi is to hire a car with driver and spend a couple of days driving down to Hoi An, avoiding Highway 1 wherever possible in order to make the experience enjoyable.

Funny to read that thread again after all this time. The contributors include quite a few of my old forum mates who have long since disappeared. Presumably you have also read more recent threads so know there are many more places than Tam Coc to visit, including other boat trips that don't include the hassles with which Tam Coc is synonymous?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going south from Ninh Binh

Thanks CB.Yes that thread was a blast from the past. I`ve saved it all this time to remind me why I wanted to go there. Have got the recent stuff saved as well.

Will be ready once I work out the best travel options.

We are pushed for time (and money) so seems the best option is probably to return to Hanoi and fly from there.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going south from Ninh Binh

"Think there are better places to go compared to when the writers went."

I am not sure if you mean better places to go in Ninh Binh or better places in Vietnam. In Ninh Binh I really like the Van Long Nature Reserve. There are still some endangered Delacour langurs living in the reserve and hearing their howls while peacefully gliding along is truly magical. And if you are lucky enough to see them even better. I particularly like going to the reserve at either sunset or sunrise.

4. Re: Going south from Ninh Binh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:46