We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Itinerary help please!

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam Itinerary help please!

Hello

I'm 23 years old and would like to go to Vietnam with my boyfriend. I'm not a huge fan of cultural things but I'm happy to do a bit; he's up for a bit more cultural stuff than me but our philosophy is kind of, 'seen one temple, seen them all' if that gives you a good idea.

We have an idea of what we want to and I was hoping for some advice and to check our plan. We will be going for 2 weeks starting from the middle of October.

We will be flying into Ho Chi Minh City where we plan on staying for maybe 2 nights, were thinking of going to the Mekong Delta?

Then internal flight to Nha Trang for a bit of night life for a couple of nights.

Then fly to Danang so that we can go to Hoi An for a luxury resort for maybe 5 nights.

Finally, fly to Hanoi so we can go to Halong Bay! Maybe a day trip to China if it's not a ridiculous idea.

One thing I am desperate to do (though I know it is touristy and cliche) is to hold and feed a baby tiger.

I'm really not very well travelled as you may be able to tell... other than a few typically British drinking holidays, I've been to Thailand Laos for a month... therefore I would really appreciate any guidance. Are we missing something amazing? Have we picked anywhere that isn't that great, isn't worth going to or we shouldn't spend too long in.

Thank you in advance!!

XO Tours
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Le Family Rider
City Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Hanoi Street Food Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Motorcycle Tours
Back of the Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
leicester
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

I would advise you do lots more research. From what you have said, I'm not sure you are going to the right country for your likes and preferences A day trip to China is most unlikely, seeing as its about ten hours by bus from Halong to The border. Also, luxury in VN is not comparable to luxury in Thailand. VN is a beautiful country, but it is a hard country to travel in time wise as distances are deceptive and the transport not great. 100kms can take 3 hours to travel.

Keep reading, and post another itinerary once you have more info to go on. Right now I would say you have a way to go if doing it without a travel agent.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

Well mel, you've obviously done a little research and picked places that will suit your preferences, and will also fill the time you have available.

As JoLeicester very politely points out, China is out of the question for a day trip.

As for holding and feeding a baby tiger, there are only about 30 wild tigers left in Cambodia and Vietnam as the once large population has been hunted almost to extinction. If attempts are being made somewhere in the country to breed tigers in captivity I doubt very much that tourists will be welcome. However I'm sure that your boyfriend would be more than willing to act as a surrogate.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

Thanks so much for your guidance so far! Ok so China is out. With regards to distances, we were going to get trains between each area but realized that flights are about the same price and will make our travel time much shorter.

We did only begin looking today (I'm very impatient and like to get these things somewhat planned) but I like the idea of a cookery class in Hoi An and there are supposed to be some kind of mud baths in Nha trang.

I perhaps exaggerated my dislike of culture. I mean this in a purely architectural sense. I like to see beautiful landscapes and doing things such as jungle treks/ waterfalls, just not temples.

Asiarooms has some 5 star resorts which, though not the same as 5 star here, do look very nice!

Has anyone been to the Mekong delta? What's it like?

Thanks again for your help! Very much appreciated

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

The Mekong Delta is beautiful and woth a visit. If you are into jungle treks, waterfalls, and wilderness, do not worry..... There are quite a number of tours and close by attractions available once you are in Nha Trang than can satisfy your desires. It is also a good launching off spot if you want to adventure into the Central Highlands.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

First, welcome to Vietnam! Your plan so good, but I wanna share something about it. If you go HCM city and stay there 2nights, you should going to the Mekong Delta. If you fly to Da Nang, 5nights are too much. Just about 3nights 4days, you can go almost all the famous landmarks of the city. If you fly to Ha Noi, Halong bay or Cat Ba (Hai Phong) are the right choice. Only 1nights 2days, you can explore beautiful places...If you like the mountain, you can go Sa Pa - you catch train on the evening of friday, you'll stay at Saturday , Sunday. Sunday evening you can come back to Hanoi and began a continue journey. Have a nice trip

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

Your itinerary looks fine already, and Yes, Mekong delta that you should not miss at least a night there if possible.You can cut a night in Hoi An and add on for Mekong delta as you also spend time at the Beach Nha Trang.If you plan to spend for luxury hotel for the Beach in Nha Trang I would suggest the Anamandara sixsense which is near town and has it own private beach.

Hoi an I would go for the Victoria resort.

Cheers,

Nhung

7. Re: Vietnam Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 06:15