We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested itinerary

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggested itinerary

Hi, myself, husband and daughters, (20 and 24) are planning a trip to Vietnam from Dec 22 - Jan 8th. This will give us 15 full days there. Some of the places we are interested in seeing and things we want to do are -Hoi An. Train trip between Da Nang and Hue, Halong Bay, HCM, Mekong Delta and Angkor wat, Cambodia. We are open to anything adventurous. Any suggested itineraries would be much welcomed. Thank you :)

1. Re: Suggested itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 13:01
Hanoi
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested itinerary

Deceber is the last month of year in which travel in here is busy. 15 days is not enough to travel all places in Vietnam and Cambodia also. The places you have mentioned in the post are interesting place and of course touristy in high season as December. If you want to do something adventurous, I think you will have to need more time. See the program:

D1: Hanoi - Arrival - City tour

D2: Hanoi - Halong 1 night on boat

D3: Halong - Hanoi

D4: Hanoi - Hue - city tour

D6: Hue - Danang

D7: Danang - Hoi An

D8: Hoi An

D9: Hoi An - Danang - Ho Chi Minh

D10: Ho Chi Minh - Mekong Delta

D11: Mekong Delta

D12: Ho Chi Minh - Siem Riep

D13: Angkor Wat Temple Complex

D14: Siem Riep - Phnompeng

D15: Departure.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested itinerary

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking at flights and we are thinking of flying into hanoi and departing from Siem Riep. The above itinerary seems very much along the lines of what I was thinking. Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested itinerary

You could add Nha Trang or Da Lat into your intinerary for 1 days.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested itinerary

Covkid, that itinerary might look good at fast glance but a substantial proportion of your time would be spent travelling from place to place, leaving sufficient time only for a quick look at the destinations in question and certainly discounting a satisfactory experience of them. You would also be utterly exhausted at the end of your holiday, and for little reward.

Bear in mind that each time you change location you will lose approximately half a day to travel.

It would be far better to reduce the number of destinations and see the remaining ones in somewhat more depth, for example you could skip central Vietnam (Hue and Hoi An) or leave Cambodia for another holiday as it too is best savoured slowly and has many things to offer in its own right.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested itinerary

Creakingbones - thanks for your advice. The only place in Cambodia we want to go to in this vacation is Angkor Wat. We will be flying between the destinations to make getting from one place to another quicker. Other than a train ride between da nang and hue. Do you still think it would be too much? Thanks

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested itinerary

I have to agree that it is a little fast. We just did a 2 week trip to Vietnam last Dec. and we did HCMC (with overnight in Mekong), Hoi An and Hanoi (with overnight in Halong Bay) and with all those overnighters we felt like we were moving around quite a bit. We had done a previous trip to Siem Reap. You really aren't giving yourself much time in Hanoi. You have your arrival day (not sure what time you are arriving), and then the day you come back from Halong which will be late in the afternoon.

You are spending a night in Danang and then two more nights in Hoi An? Danang is only about 30 min. from Hoi An. I would just spend the whole time in Hoi An and head over to Danang from there, if you must. This will

eliminate one check in and check out.

Same thing with HCMC - you really aren't spending any time there because of the time to and from Mekong Delta. Mekong Delta was our least favorite stop in Vietnam, but then I think we were you unique in that. We just really enjoyed HCMC so wouldn't want you to short change that.

Here is a link to my Vietnam report: fodors.com/community/asia/christmas-in-vietn…

and my Siem Reap report:

fromhometoroam.com/2012/…

www.FromHomeToRoam.com

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested itinerary

Sorry, but yes I still think the itinerary in post number 2 is unrealistic - some travel agents in Vietnam seem to think that a relentless, headlong gallop down the length of the country is what visitors want, and to hell with actually seeing anything!

Let's look at the itinerary point by point.

Day 1: less than a day has been allocated for Hanoi, which requires at least three days to see the main attractions and soak up the unique atmosphere of the Old Quarter.

Days 2-3: 8 hours of these days will be spent travelling to and from Halong Bay and you won't arrive back in Hanoi until late in the afternoon, so not much time to go sightseeing then either, assuming you have the energy to do so after the journey back.

Day 4: even if you take a very early flight you will only have half a day to see Hue, which is again not enough - two days are required to see all the attractions.

Day 5: what has happened to day 5? Presumably someone lost count here.

Day 6: it takes several hours to get to Danang and longer if you go by the scenic route, so hardly worth stopping in that city for a night.

Days 7-8: only a short journey from Danang so an early start would give you almost two full days in Hoi An, which actually is sufficient to explore the town (it's very small) and take a trip to the beach.

Day 9: this will give you just half a day to see HCMC before leaving for the Delta the next morning. Yet again, nowhere near enough.

Days 10-11: actually most people make do with a day trip to the Delta (not really desirable) so the allocation of two days is good, especially if you take a private, custom-made tour away from the usual tourist route.

Days 12-15: this is up to you, but if you really would be happy to do all that travelling for a quick look at Angkor Wat before your long flight home, then so be it.

The choice is yours, but I would strongly urge to cut out some places, for the sake of your health if not in the interest of a more meaningful experience!

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested itinerary

Ya, You have over 2 weeks and want to visit VietNam and Cambodia that is abit much.So I suggest to skip the center and spend your time in HaNoi , Halong Bay then Fly to the south in Ho Chi Minh city, Mekong delta 2 nights, then Phu Quoc island before flying to siemreap.

And if you prefer the Central VietNam then you can skip the South and do North and Hue , Hoi An before Flying to SiemReap. DaNang has nice Beaches for you to relax as well.

Cheers,

Nhung

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested itinerary

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I certainly don't want to spend all of our time traveling and not seeing places. The places that I really want to see are Halong Bay, Hoi Ann, HCM and from HCM travel one way only to Angkor Wat via the Delta. We will be flying out of Siem Reap. I heard that the part of the train ride between Danang and Hue is very scenic so that is the only reason I had those on my list. We are not really interested in beach time as we get plenty of that where we live.

Taking all this into consideration are there any further suggestions for my itinerary.

Thank you.