We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry another tet question

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
1,242 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry another tet question

Tet 2013 falls on Sunday, 10 February 2013. The Tet 2013 public holiday in Vietnam will be from Saturday, 9 February 2013 to Thursday, 14 February 2013.

If I want to avoid Tet should I avoid all of February or just say February 8-17 or so.

Thanks i had a friend to avoid Feb but that seems like a long time with good weather.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry another tet question

depending on where in vn you are going to be at that time, it could be a good thing or bad thing. big cities will be very festive and it will be business as usual for most business. smaller towns will be bad because everything tends to shut down for a few days. personally, i would love to experience tet in vietnam. thats when you would be able to see vn in all its glory. thats when its at its peak of frenziness and celebration. comparable to a catholic going to christmas mass at st peters with the pope.

but if you want to avoid it, avoid 3 days before and 3 days after.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 06:11
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
1,242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry another tet question

sorry avoid 3 days either side of actual tet day or either side of the week.

i can see it may be fun, i think my first visit i will avoid.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry another tet question

If you can come around 10 days after Tet will be better, not so crazy busy and you don't have to pay lots for extra Tet charge in most things.

The South will be nicest with sunny weather and not too hot,Northen region might be cold.So, Its good time for the Beaches in Phu Quoc, Con Dao, Mui ne or Nha Trang and Mekong Delta is a must see place.

Cheers,

Nhung

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Con Dao Islands
Con Dao Islands
Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry another tet question

Even in big cities many things shut down for Tet. I'm in Hanoi and I make sure I get out of town for Tet. In terms of your travel, the three days before Tet are to be avoided if you will need to get from point A to point B- buses, trains, and planes will be backed to the gills. If you are going to be in one place, like Hanoi, the three days before Tet can be fun because of the flower markets and the people watching. As a tourist you definitely want to avoid the first three days of Tet (Sunday through Tues this year) because so many things shut down. It will be hard to find a place to eat, shops will be closed, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
5. Re: Sorry another tet question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 17:16