We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips and Recommendations

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tips and Recommendations

Hi TA Readers

my wife and I arrive in Hanoi this Saturday. We think we have left ourselves plenty of time to take in each location but would like some thoughts on our itinerary

26-28/8 Hanoi

29-30/8 - Halong Bay (Dragon Pearl Junk)

31/8 - Fly to Hue

31/8 - 2/9 - Hue (Saigon Morin)

3-8/9 - Hoi An (Car from Hue) (Ha An Hotel)

9-12/9 HMC (Fly from Da Nang)

We are very excited about our trip and have a comprehensive list of things we must do and try in each area but any tips readers have would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Macca_007

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips and Recommendations

you should share the time in Hoi an to leave for HCM soon to have more time in HCM to visit Mekong Delta, have a good trip, I like your itinerary

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips and Recommendations

Usually 2 nights in Hue and 2 in Hoi An are enough. If you took a night from aHanoi also, you could include Nha Trang, Mui Ne, or the Mekong.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips and Recommendations

You might be a bit late but if you haven't already done it I would try and book a tour with the Hanoikids in Hanoi and the Saigon Hotpots in HCMC If you use the search box you'll get loads of info and contact details.

leicester
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips and Recommendations

As it is already booked, just enjoy what you have planned to do an see what else comes up when you are there. Hotels and other travellers have a wealth of info to share and dependant on how you feel or the weather you can choose. Take time to sit and relax, something so many travellers omit and end up frazzled. Hanoi is crazy, and many people are overwhelmed at first so just sit and soak it up! Eat in a nice restaurant and sit with the locals as well.

No idea what age you are, but if you are adventurous get yourselves a moped taxi x 2 to show you around Hue and the surrounding areas. Great fun and less tiring than walking.

Whatever you have chosen, it will be a great adventure

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips and Recommendations

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and recommendations. I will try and incorporate as much as possible in particulr the Hanoikids and Saigon Hotpots if possible.

Love the idea of the moped taxi and will try and book a motor bike tour as well.

My good wife has decided we should also take some cooking classes so more research to do know.

Thank you again for your help. Will let you all know how we get on.

Macca007

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips and Recommendations

Hi Macca007

We are in Mekong Delta right now and I highly recommend if you can fit it in. We are on a private tour with Mr Vu from Jason SSS tours and are having an amazing time. Seeing things we would never imagine to see.

Some other great things we have done:

Green Bambo cooking school - Hoi An

Snorkeling tour - Nha Trang

I do agree Hanoi can be somewhat overwhelming at first, so finding a nice cool restaurant to have a cold beer first up is a must!

A trip to Vietnam is what you make of it. Interact with everyone and it will be the best holiday ever!

Enjoy

leicester
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips and Recommendations

If you like the sound of the moped taxi I will now suggest something even more bonkers! We took a moped taxi from Hue over the Hai Van pass down to Hoi An and it was spectacular. It took all day, but we saw so much along the way and our rucksacks were secured to the bikes! Not sure how that works with suitcases though if you have them. Hoi An is known for its cookery courses and some incorporate river trips to local markets etc as well which sound interesting. Definitely at some point take moped taxis, I never thought I would do it but loved it and if only staying local it's really inexpensive at around 20 dollars per person for the day. We did the same in Hue and went all over the place including cemetaries, temples etc. The riders normally have some good places to stop for lunch, we had an amazing feast in someone's garage! Most hotels can arrange this for you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips and Recommendations

Hi everyone

just back in Aus so wanted to let you know that we had a fabulous time on our trip. Managed to get bookings with Hanoikids and Saigonhotpot at short notice - these young adulst are terrific with such enthusiasm to share and learn - cannot recommend too highly.

Went to Halong Bay with Red Dragon junks (2D/1N) - again excellent and will write a separate report on them.

It rained quite a bit in Hue so missed a bit but did get out and about for some sightseeing on cyclos - a lot of fun. Also managed to fit in a river cruise.

Hoi An was another highlight - did a 22km bicycle ride, a motor bike tour and a cooking school session as well as bicycle rides to different beaches - again separate reports to be submitted. My wife really enjoyed the tailors - recommend staying away from the market areas - a few streets back and not as pushy - but all in all most seem able to provide good service and quality as very reasonable prices.

Last bit of the stay was in HMC - again a lot of fun - trip to Cu Chi tunnels with Jason Superstar tours was very memorable.

Our trip was made so much easier due to the help received from those who contribute to TA - our sincere thanks to all concerned.

Macca

9. Re: Tips and Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:17