We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tours

london
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
tours

Hi All

Am looking to do fly into Vietnam do a ten day tour then fly to Bankok for four days in hua hin, then back to london

Any ideas greatly appreciated, we are late 40`s and would like to see Halong Bay and the Cu Chi tunnels

Thanks

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tours

Dave,

last time we were in Vietnam we did similar except we went via Kuala Lumpur and crashed in Melaka for a few days.

We arranged our own flights in the UK from one of the usual suspects and arranged the Vietnam sector - visas, accomodation, trips, halong bay using a Vienam based travel agent. Worked a treat, we used tonkin travel who seem to have a good rep on this forum.

They have suggested itineries on their web site to get you started but they are happy to modify for you.

We are about to start planning our next Veitnam trip (hence me being on here) and will be cotacting tonkin again once I have a general plan.

HTH

Kevin

Edited: 22 August 2012, 12:27
london
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tours

Hi Kevin

Any tips for first timers to Vietnam

Have toured around Thailand a bit so not wet behind the ears

Also who u book flights through

Cheers

Dave

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tours

With only 10 days in Vietnam you will be a bit rushed to see much. You can book flights directly online with Vienam airlines, or have a tour agent do it as part of a tour package. Here is a link to a few sample itineraries. You can customize them any way you wish.

Owee

www.owee58.com

4. Re: tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2012, 12:02
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tours

Hi Dave. You probably realise that the 2 destinations in VN that you are interested in are at either end of the country. If you intend to travel overland from HCMC (Cu Chi) to Hanoi ( Ha Long Bay) in 10 days you may be constantly on the move as travel between these 2 ends is slow.

I would use only a well recommended VN agent to show what they have on offer, and Tonkin is one, although they are higher priced. Vietland Discovery is another but you can put a search in the box at the top of the page, and then try to eliminate the touts by checking the post contents for poor english expression, and obvious plugs to narrow down your options. The north is particularly prone to touting.

Another point to consider is, when you travel, and the seasons you are likely to encounter. Autumn is not a good time to cross the Central parts (Hoi An) as there are large storms sometimes. In winter the south ( HCMC)

is very comfortable but the North can be quite cold (Sapa and Ha Long Bay )

so pick your 10 days that straddle the best times (may / june) or use air travel.

Cheers Ross

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tours

10 days in VN is quite short, so some destination you might see as Ha noi for 3 day( include city tour, Ha long bay), then 3days for Hue or Hoi an, the rest of time spend on HCM (include Mekong delta). good luck. with above destinations you could explore your own, only Ha long bay should book direct with cruise company

leicester
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tours

With just 10 days, you might be better to stick to either North or South to avoid excessive travelling. Tips would be to take into account the size of the country and note that moving around between places take a long time compared to the UK unless you fly. For example, getting from Halong to Cu Chi tunnels would take a full day/night if by train. If you stick to the north, you could take in Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa or Ninh Binh and see the sites enjoyably rather than rushing too much. Or the same in the south with perhaps a trip to the central areas such as Hoi an, Hue, Dalat, Nha Trang etc.

I find VN to be quite exhausting and have vowed never to cram a trip again but limit the amount of places to see. If you really want to see the two places mentioned then it would be best to do internal flights. Spend a couple of days in Hanoi, a 2 night trip on HB, fly to HCM and do the tunnels and maybe the Mekong Delta though tat still seems very busy to me.

london
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tours

Why are trip advisor removing posts so wuickly

Cheers

Dave

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tours

Dave removals are taken down by the moderators for breaches of the posting rules-mostly self interest.

Cheers Ross

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tours

Hi Dave,

We did the 'Top Gear' tour, Saigon to Hanoi with stops on the way.

If you go to chu chi take some earplugs just in case you want to fire off a few rounds in the firing range, it's worth going just for the tunnels.

With 10 days I'd go with the others suggestions of either north or south.

Or be prepared to skip a lot of what Vietnam has to offer.

The time of year may decide it for you, we are returning for 3 weeks in jan / feb and are planning to keep to the south. It can get a bit fresh up north in the winter months, but saying that we have done Halong bay in feb and it was a highlight of the trip.

The flights I tend to check out Trailfinders or Travelbag, I've used both without any issues.

I'm guessing you must be local to me with a whu name, (I'm in se Essex) so I expect you will be looking at heathrow departures which gives you a good selection of airlines.

Hth

Kevin