We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Vietnam?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why Vietnam?

We're leaving for SE Asia in just over a week, can't wait! But while we are, just 2 quick questions to all forum members and the experts.

1. Why did you first choose to go to Vietnam?

2. What is it about Vietnam that made you love it enough to keep coming back instead of travelling and experiencing the rest of the world?

I'm asking these questions both for myself so I know what to look for when we get there, and also to future forum travellers, so that they know what to expect when travelling to Vietnam.

Appreciate all inputs :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Vietnam?

1. I have many Viet friends at home, and I had always wanted to see that part of the world.

2. The Vietnamese people are the attraction for me - like coming home to old friends.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Vietnam?

1. Our daughter had been there and she loved it so prompted us to go ourselves. We also had good reports from others.

2. Now been twice and hope to go back again some time. Found the Vietnamese people we met so friendly. One of the homestays we stayed at first time, second time welcomed us like old friends. The Hanoi Kids guide we had first time came to see us, also another guide we had the first time. The people we met were just so friendly and helpful. Always so much to see. We just find it so interesting but then we are open to new things and enjoy chatting to local people.

Hope you have a great time.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Vietnam?

1. To get married and show my wifes family, shenot only survived, but fufilled her dream.

2. After getting over the culture shock and confusion, over 15 years I came to understand and befriend these happy and caring people..... so much so that we now live in Vietnam. This is now home and travel abroas to where I am from is a holiday.

Welcome to Vietnam, and have a great trip!

Owee

www.owee58.com

australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Vietnam?

We have our first trip in a few months so I can only answer the first question.

We were attracted by the scenery, the opportunity to try new foods and experience another culture. Also the trip we have planned covers everything from big cities to small villages and and beach time, cruising in Halong Bay and touring the Mekong Delta and everything in between, so a real variety of options. there was also the cost, compared to travelling elsewhere we could not expect to do all the things we have planned for such an affordable price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Vietnam?

Thank you for the replies and best wishes. Seems the Vietnamese people are the main attraction!

Funny enough Top Gear Vietnam special is on tonight at 8.30... Going to watch it and getting even more excited counting down sleeps! Only 8 to go!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Vietnam?

We love SE Asia in general, it's the culture, food and people that make us return.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Vietnam?

Oh and good value for money.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Vietnam?

1st visited in 1995, having never been to Asia before but had friends who had travelled and said VN was their favourite place. We arrived so naive and the expected culture shock was truly a shock! I remember the lovely warm people who had very little and yet were so rich in many ways. A little girl in Sapa who lived in nothing more than a shack followed us for two days and we bought her a Cola which she was so excited about and took home in the bottle unopened. The next day she returned with a gift from her mother. The day we left, she was outside our hotel at five am with her mother, waiting to say goodbye and walked with me holding my hand back to the bus I have never forgotten that. On my more recents visits where i am being harassed to buy things, I always remember Sapa before it got touristy and realise that one of the ladies trying to push their wares could be that girl who was so lovely.

The people get under your skin if you take time to talk to them . I can honestly say I have learnt more about human nature sat on a tiny plastic chair in that country than any where else. Dignified, resilient, and warm people. Not all see them that way, but I see how much the country has changed since my first visit largely due to tourism, and I still feel the same as I did back then.

Add into that mix the mayhem of the cities, the lovely scenery and the adventure you find at every turn....love it or hate it, it is a very interesting country. Re telling that story brings a lump to my throat even now, how many places affect you in that way?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Vietnam?

That's such a lovely story Jo, thank you for sharing it :) we'll be sure to look for that plastic stool while we're there.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Vietnam?

1. The USA Government 1968.

2. Visiting the InLaws and the beautiful country and people that live there.