We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning help please

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planning help please

Hi

We are currently in the process of planning next year's main holiday which will commence towards the end of July until early/mid August and Vietnam/Cambodia is one of the options we are considering. We want to spend half the holiday travelling round and half on a relax beach stay. What are the top 5 things we should see in Vietnam and where is the best beach for the relax? - Snorkelling and beautiful peaceful surroundings required. I understand that only the mid coast will be suitable for the beach stay weather wise, is that right?

Any advice to help with our plans welcome.

Thanks in advance

Maz

1. Re: Planning help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 August 2012, 13:35
leicester
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning help please

Hi Mazz. There are not really any beaches to shout about in the north at any row of the year, where in my opinion most of the must see places are located. Phu Coc,Mui Ne and Nha Trang get the best write ups beach wise though you might want to research each place as they may not be quite what you imagine if comparing to say Thailand or Bali etc.

If you have two weeks, then stick to one country else you will be spending a lot of your time travelling between places of interest. VN is huge in terms of travel distance and what may seem like a short trip takes a long time. If you travel from north to south by train it would be like travelling from London to Glasgow twice and a bit more! Places to see, my vote would be Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay and Ninh Binh for a first time visitor To the north. Central would be Hue, Hoi An and Nha trang and Dalat. South would be the Mekong Delta,Saigon, Phu Coc.

You need to decide what you wish to see as a must yourself before you can plan an itinerary and no one can choose that for you.

Snorkelling wise you may be disappointed. There are not many great reviews on that in Vietnam though others may disagree with me. The south should be ok weather wise though you may get a fair but of tropical type rain.

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning help please

Thanks Owee - I've had a look at your site already. The pics suggest that Nha Trang is quite built up - are there any beachsites/hotels that are away from the built up areas and in a quiet location with beautiful scenary, or is that not the type of beach area you can get in central Vietnam?

Maz

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning help please

Hi Jo

We have 3 weeks max to play with so we could cover some of the different parts, but it is also important that we have some down time, otherwise we will be more knackered returning than we will be going. I've not been to Thailand yet, but have done Maldives, Seyshelles etc and I know it won't be like that, I was wondering if there were any islands off shore in the area that may be quieter and more picturesque, or are they all along the main land coast?

Maz

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning help please

How about Phu Quoc Island in the far south? That certainly fits your criteria, and while it may be the rainy season it's not likely to rain all day every day, or anywhere near it.

leicester
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning help please

Phu Coc is an island and has some great reviews on here recently especially by sheath27 who loved it. It won't be like the Maldives as you already know, but I love both places in equal measure as they are so different. If you have more time, I suggest flying into the north, from there hitting Hue and Hoi An, a good stop on the beach at Phu Coc and fly out of Ho Chi Minh.

Hoi An also has beaches away from the main town but it's touristy. Phu Coc sounds more like your thing...

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning help please

Hey Mazpazz,

Check out my summarised trip report titled "I finally left my wife". It will give you a brief insight into what we thought of this little gem.

Thanks JoLeicester for your positive opinion. Just a note though, it is spelt Phu quoc (pronounced fu wok apparently) although your term gives the island a much more sensual/erotic/provocative feel which will be good for their tourism :-)

Mark

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning help please

Hi Mark - Read your trip report - what time of year did you travel then?

Maz

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning help please

Hey maz

We were there 2 weeks ago. Beautiful weather.

Mark

leicester
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning help please

Thanks Sheath27, I do struggle with the name spelling! :-)