We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria pills, yes/no??

New York, NY
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria pills, yes/no??

We will be in Vietnam this November, visiting Saigon (with a day trip to the Mekong Delta) and Hanoi (with 2 days on Halong Bay). Also a few days in Hong Kong, 12 day total trip.

Based on our itinerary, would you recommend going on anti-malaria meds?? I know malaria is a serious illness and not to be messed with but i'd like to avoid the cost and the side effects if possible.

Yes, I spoke with my doctor and he said to take it. But he also said to get shots for polio, rabies and tetanus so i'm wondering if he's being a little too cautious.

Can someone who is local or who has been to the areas recently tell me about the prevalence of malaria in these areas in November?? What did/do you do?

Thanks.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 19:22
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

Well never took one in 10 + years. :)

leicester
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

The main risk is in land, and even then not a high one. Hanoi, Halong Bay are no risk areas and HCM is not on the list. Just wear spray with deer and cover up in the high risk times. We go tomorrow and are not taking anything...doctors hav to tell you to cover themselves, but ultimately it's your decision.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

No.... All they will do is not make you feel quite right. Malaria instances are almost non existent in the areas that you will most likely be traveling. Just bring a deet based repellant and keep you legs out from under table cloths where mozzis love to hide in the day.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

At the Travel Clinic today they told me you really only need them for Laos but not Viet Nam. You do not need them for Hong Kong.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

We have never taken malaria tablets but always use a geed insect repellent.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

Malaria is not the issue in Vietnam. It's Dengue Fever that you need to be more worried about. Dengue mosquitoes are active during the day as well as the usual early evening, so you need a good repellent applied regularly throughout the day and night. Dengue is far more widespread in Vietnam than Malaria, even in the cities, and there's no cure for it.

But if you cover up and use repellent as others have also suggested, you avoid the bites of both Dengue and Malarial mosquitoes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

The Travel Clinic at Kaiser Permanente recommended them for the delta region, where my wife still has family. Having said that, her family of 12 grew up in My Tho and none ever contracted malaria. I guess your mileage may vary. You may want to take a look at the CDC web site. Here is the link for Vietnam that explains the current advisories:

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/vietnam.htm

Richard

8. Re: Malaria pills, yes/no??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17