We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone

Fort St. John B.C
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone

I don't have a Smart Phone, just a cheap Walmart cell phone so husband and kids can get a hold of me. My question is.........can you buy a cheap cell phone anywhere in Vietnam to use only for texting back and forth to family in Canada? Would only want it for 3 weeks that we are away.

Mentioned in this post
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone

No problem to get a cheapie here $20 will get you something. Or just bring your unlocked phone with you a get a sim card here. Would imagine $10 will get you a sim and enough airtime to sms home for a few weeks.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone

Yeah, a brand-new Nokia phone here costs frm 22 USD and you can buy every where in Viet Nam. You should buy at TheGioiDiDong Shop, it is a big Phone mart in Viet Nam and very popular in every city in Viet Nam.

Take it easy.

AnOpenHandTravel

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone

Why don't you buy it in your country ? Buy a cheap simlockfree phone and buy a pre pais sim card in Vietnam.

Save your holiday time in Vn I would say.

Edited: 22 October 2012, 07:07
Mentioned in this post
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone

I don't know Saigon67, going into Nguyen Kim ( flickr.com/photos/bertie_is_here/5415135903/ ) on Tran Hung Dao during the day to buy a mobile is an experience in itself. Extremely busy, noise, attentative, everything that illustrates how the Vietnamese like to do business. I picked up a Samsung for less than 400,000 dong ($20) on a special offer.

OP. Although saying that, as long as it's a GSM phone, one bought in your country will do just as well. Certainly in the UK, prices have come down to match any that I might find in Vietnam. I'd imagine the US would be the same

Edited: 22 October 2012, 07:26
Mentioned in this post
Tran
Tran
127 Reviews
Da Nang, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone

Canada and USA are on a different band to Vietnam so the phone you buy anywhere will have to be able to handle both GSM.

A quad band will proably do but I dont think it will be $20. Check with your local phone shop that Canadian phones will work in Asia (excl Korea) and visa versa in VN, without work.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
381 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone

Just buy a SIM card they are cheap

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone

I agreed about Nguyen Kim, if that what to want. I rather spent time just walking in the market to see the vietnamese daily life rather than in an electronics shop.

But if you only want a cheap phone, I think you can easely get a phone below $20 in any country in the world nowaday.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone

Why waste $20 buying a normal phone

I recently bought a smart phone (LG Optimus Spirit ) brand new in Australia for $49.50

$2 to buy an unlock code on ebay

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
381 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone

I brought a basic text and call for my holidays back home for 20$ also

10. Re: Cell Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 09:16