We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International airline tickets from AUS

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
International airline tickets from AUS

Thanks to some great advice from this forum we have a wonderful 23 night trip booked for 2 families in April. I know it is a long way off, but we are looking at flights and specials etc.

They seem to be very expensive now (as expected) and I do not want to fly for 25 hours so I am looking at Vietnam Air International direct to Hanoi and back from Saigon.

My question is, what sort of price is a good price and when should I book? I am happy to wait till month out if I have to, but do not want to be caught short either. Is it the regular travellers experience that specials come out reasonably close to travel dates?

Thanks for your help and advice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

We have booked with Scoot to Singapore...$190 with 25kg luggage and extra leg room....then Tiger to Ho Chi Minh for $140 SGD.Even cheaper coming back with 30 kg luggage.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

25 hours?

I bought tickets Gold Coast to Singa and a few hours later Singa to Saigon, so about 10 hours in the air

Total cost was $600 return inc. upgraded seats and baggage

Subscribe to scoot and air asia

Check here as well http://www.skyscanner.com.au/

Edited: 25 October 2012, 04:15
QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

emuplains, that flight you got has you staying in Singa overnight right?

Did you look at Jetstar flying out a few hours after scoot lands?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

Triptrouble, I suspect you are travelling in and around school holidays? I'd be surprised if you can get the low fares during that period. We travel from Adelaide which makes it harder again for us, and we find that we are paying sometimes double because of school holidays. We tried searching Scoot for next April but couldn't find availability - maybe we weren't persistent enough?

(We have the added cost of flying Adel - Syd return so we didn't try too hard).

Hope you have better luck!

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

Triptrouble, as australianoma said you need to TRY to avoid the school holidays as much as possible for the cheaper fares, if you are taking your school aged children with you might I suggest booking your flights 2-3 days before the holidays start and 2-3 before they return for the cheaper flights, just do a search on any airline to see the difference in the price, you'll be quite amazed. I did this earlier this year for the same period and saved a bomb, more spending money for us :-)). Another suggestion join email lists with Jetstar or Bestflights or any other for that matter and they send regular emails with pretty good deals. Coming from Armidale I imagine you will need to fly to Sydney/Gold Coast/Brisbane to get your flight to Vietnam. Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Sylvia

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

Thanks everyone. Yes our daughter is in yr 10 so we have to do most around school hols. We will fly from Sydney as our friends live there. Hope I can get some specials as you suggest.

Thanks again

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
228 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

Hi Guys, thanks for this, We are looking at flights as well, but we don't travel until August. I never thought of checking Australian school holidays, but I think travelling in August we are fine. You mention this Scoot, I presume they are a web based flight search?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

@triptrouble just further to the school holiday thing (we always have to travel in school hols because my wife works at a school) I only once found that flights got cheaper the closer we got (I usually re-check just out of interest). As another poster says, one time I shifted the travel dates by a couple of days and the retun flight on Singapore Air went from $1350 to $850 return - I have since tried this a few times but it hasn't worked (they're onto us!). I booked Bali 8 months before July this year and the cheapest Virgin flights all sold out so I had to pay for the more expensive seats - then I re-checked a couple of weeks before we went and they had re-released some of the cheaper seats (those cads)! But you would be playing Russian roulette to hold off on the hope of picking up cheaper flights. We paid $1450 return when off season people pay around $700. Best of luck, maybe re-post how you go at getting cheaper flights, I'd be interested to know.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

ChisMarty, Scoot is the Singapore Airlines low cost carrier. They come up with some great prices.

Greg

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International airline tickets from AUS

Better still is not to worry about dates and just buy cheap tickets well in advance when the big sale is on AND THEN organize your holidays around those dates.

You'll have a year to get your ducks in a row in most cases.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 23:14