We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scammers?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
scammers?

i've been reading in some travel blogs that the people of vietnam treat westerners like suckers and rip them off all over the country. I was surprised so many people reported this in such broad terms. Does everyone agree? Is there a certain approach that is helpful when doing transactions like, renting rooms, buying food and souvenirs, taxis, tours,etc.? Thanks.

Khanh Sinh Travel
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Babetrekkingtour
Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Cultural Tours
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scammers?

Don't believe everything you read. Yes, there are a few scams here, but I would say that generally you will not find more accommodating people than the Vietnamese. I've been in Hanoi for a week now, and have had no scams, but have been showered with kindness and consideration. If only we Americans were so nice to our foreign visitors!

(Vietnam is a land of very happy people, but they're also human beings)

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scammers?

Well, in tourist areas they try to sell everything, just ignoring them is ok.

It's the tourist that will ask for trouble saying yes....

NO Cyclos, no bikers, only Vinasun taxis and you are ok :-)

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scammers?

We had 4 weeks in Vietnam and the only time someone attempted to 'scam' us was asking a high price for bottled water in HCMC. We started to walk away and they accepted what we offered, they had tried to charge double what we had been paying. I wouldn't worry.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scammers?

The scams are generally small time in terms of money, and in my various trips there I have found that so long as you don't make the typical tourist mistakes its fine. As above, don't get on a cyclo, or in a taxi off the street. Ask your hotel to arrange it for you and agree a price first. If you think something is too expensive, don't buy it. Same things happen in lots of countries, you just get a basic idea of what things cost and walk away if the price is hugely inflated. The Vietnamese people are kind and warm when you scratch the surface, and its often only the few who create the reputation. Take a big sense of humour with you, the country definitely has its very own way of doing things. If you can laugh about it rather than get upset, it makes for a much better trip.

Brighton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scammers?

Here is one travel agency not to use in Hanoi if you dont want to be scammed/cheated.Big Travel at the start of Hang buom street.The manager and his staff sit inside their office like Moray eels waiting for unsuspecting tourists to walk inside , then scam and cheat them out of their hard earned cash and sell them nox exsistant transport and tours Mr Vietnam is the owners name his logo is come inside and be my friend

So take a tip dont use this place you will be scammed

Alan C

Edited: 09 December 2012, 03:10
Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scammers?

Thanks for all of your insight and tips! I'm normally not wary and bring along my street smarts but I got a little worried from some reports. I appreciate the encouragement and will definitely not be thwarted from this trip.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scammers?

I was also worried about taxi/touts/scams and TA provided me a lot of information about how to avoid. I spent 1 month in September 2012 with my wife travelling throughout the Vietnam. It was very wonderful experience except few minor incident. Most of Vietnamese people are very friendly and helpful. Just use common sense and you will have a memorable trip.

8. Re: scammers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 02:16