We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

Hi,

I am flying to Vietnam Ho Chi Minh City beginning of march and planning to stay in South Vietnam and Cambodja for a total period of about 3 weeks.

Could some one please let me know which places i cannot miss to go and see? i do not wanna go by plane anywhere, train would be the best option?

Also is Phu Quoc worth while visiting and how many days would i need there?

Thanks

Angel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

I would find this interesting and helpful as well. So far I am thinking a few days to explore Saigon and some of the outlying areas and then flying down to Phu Quoc for a few days before heading to Cambodia in March. Having just done Thailand, I am not the "sit back and relax" type of vacationer (I used to be but after my Thailand trip, have found I would rather get up and moving every day)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

You need to spend time researching.

There is so much informaiton on this site.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

With 3 week for southern Vietnam and Cambodia is a good amount of time.

I would suggest the programme as below:

Day 1: Arrive Sgn

Day 2: Saigon city tour+ Cu Chi tunnels

Day 3: Saigon Mui ne by Train

Day 4: Mui Ne

Day 5: Mui ne

Day 6: Mui Ne: Saigon

Day 7: Saigon Ben Tre Mekong Delta homestay

Day 8: Ben Tre-Can Tho homestay

Day 9: Can Tho-Rach Gia- Phu Quoc by speedboat

Day 10: Phu Quoc

Day 12: Phu Quoc

Day 13: Phu Quoc Rach gia-Chau Doc( Or you can do Phu Quoc-Ha Tien as well, Chau Doc and Ha Tien are the border town where you can cross to Cambodia by boat or bus)

Day 14: Chau Doc-Phnompenh

Day 15: Phnompenh

Day 16: Phnompenh-Siemreap

Day 17: Siemreap

Day 18: Siemreap-Preah Vihear( overnight Tbeng mean Chey)

Day 19:TBeng Meanchey-AnLong Veng

Day 20: Anlong Veng-Siemreap

Day 21: Siemreap Fly home.

Cheers

Comeandgovietnam Team

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
4. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

Thanks for that!

And allthe travelling between places can be done by train / bus/ boat?

i find it very difficult to plan all the transport btween places cos u can not book so much onlineand you do not now whichcompanies are reliable..... Puffffff...... if any one can recommend the best transport between places it would be much appreciated!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

Phu quoc is great way to go to cambodia. Just get the phu quoc -ha tien boat (2hr) and then the busto cambodia (3 hr to pnom penh). Visa can be done at the border easily. 12$ for boat and 25$ for visa i think.

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

Sarah, the one thing no one has mentioned is there are no trains south of Saigon, so bus, boat, car or flying is the only way to go, the trains go north of Saigon only. The boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh is a long day on the Mekong River but an adventure I would highly recommend, we did this in April 2012 and it was wonderful, although very hot and much longer than we were told, we left Chau Doc at 7:30am and arrived PP 3pm, on the Mekong River we opted to stay at the Mekong Floating House (Ben Tre area), which was wonderful, very rustic, isolated, and a great way to see everyday life on the river, they also offer day trips to the surrounding areas, but we did not do the floating markets as such, and I must be honest I did not regret having missed this. I hope this is of some help.

Cheers Sylvia

7. Re: Southern Vietnam - Cambodia - Helppppppp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:16