We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Vietnam
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

It's official that from 1 Jan 2013, stamp fee for VOA will be raised from 25 USD to 45 USD. For multiple entries visa, the new fee is 65 USD. So be aware if you arrive to Vietnam from next week onward.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

With the never ending crisis In Europe and USA I guess VN will have to make before 2014 a zero cost minimum 15 days VOA for everybody or the only tourists around will be from Russia. Everybody else looking for a beach will go to Thailand.

Swiss Alps...
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Good for other Asian countries as they become more attractive (relative) and less tourists in Vietnam.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 12:38
canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

I am in Cambodia and was planning to go through Chau Doc and onward up to Nha Trang and possibly Vinh. Now that they has jacked up their visa prices I will pass on going there. These countries are foolish. All you have to look at is Thailand, Malayia and Singapore. They have free visas and the highest amount of tourists. It not rocket science. Cambodia is also going to suffer because many people travel through Cambodia to get to Vietnam.

Tanduay

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

I think you are right. Short sighted at best. Especially given the cheaper alternatives nearby. Although saying that, when compared to the cost of getting a visa to go visit the States, Vietnam is still cheap.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Incredible isnt it that the authorities feel that this is a reasonable price given that the average monthly wage for a new graduate engineer in Vietnam is around $260 a month.

When you add in the cost of applying for a VOA, a couple of photos etc then this is starting to get quite pricy. If you were thinking of popping up for a quick visist from Malaysia for example it is certainly enough to put you off.

It is just another example of the VN tourist industry completely misunderstanding what tourists look for and what makes them feel good, want to spend more and come back again. They realy should look at what makes people go back again and again to Thailand. Then copy it!

It is a common perception in Vietnam that every foreigner has unlimited wealth and is fair game for overcharging. Seamingly even the authorities think this way. Its a pity.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Small dosh for such a lovely country!!!! :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Something tells me it won't last too long!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

I find it simply amazing that tourists would cancel a trip to Vietnam because of a $20 (single entry) increase to the visa-

Yes, it is a crazy increase no-one can deny that. The Government is clearly very shortsighted. Who can fathom their thinking on so many things?...(let's not forget the white ghosts on Halong Bay- another wonderful Government initiative)

I agree that there should be free entry, but, to cancel a whole trip to the country based on $45 is beyond me...

Because when you actually arrive into Vietnam, everything else is so cheap- you can stay in the most fabulous backpacker accommodation for almost nothing if that's your choice, or wonderful luxury resorts at a fraction of the price of the rest of the world, and you can eat wonderful food for cents if you want to... or amazing beautiful food in a lovely restaurant for $20 for two....

put it into perspective!

p.s. It will take a lot more than $45 to turn me off.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

To a degree Maz I'd concur but I do know of a friend's family who were thinking about including Vietnam as part of their Asia excursion but decided it was more hassle and money than the time they had allowed was worth. Such things might not put some people off but when you have to include several visas, that $45 can easily rise to $160+. Vietnam's lose is Thailand's gain.

From my own perspective, I found that while food is cheaper in Vietnam, travelling about and hotels (what you actually get for your money) were much cheaper in Thailand. I could also hire a self drive car in Thailand (I found driving there not much different to the UK). In Vietnam you're stuck, in the main, with either a taxi (and we all know the problems they can cause) or a bus. That makes getting off the beaten track just a little bit harder.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on arrival- Stamp fee raises from 1 Jan 2013

Agree with Bertie, longer trip will be unaffected, short trip will be cancelled.

You have to add to the money the time to do the paperwork.

VN government must do a Visa on arrival free for at least 15 days or VN will loose tourists, I mean, there are not so many russians to make up for the rest of the world going elsewhere...^_^

Today should be peak season but restaurants before this weekend were empty, hotels have vacancy sign even today in Nha Trang.

It is getting like thailand, work for 1 month a year, pay the rent for 12 month....

Did anybody tell them that Europe is in the worst crisis of the last 25 years?

Edited: 31 December 2012, 06:36