We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone know whether or not you can purchase extra baggage at the time of booking tickets on Vietnam Airlines flights? We have two people traveling on internal domestic flights and would like to purchase an additional 10kg luggage for one person. I can see that the excess baggage fees are 40,000VND/kg but I can't see any option to pre-purchase excess baggage. This could mean this difference as to whether we chose to fly Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines internally.

Thanks,

Kelly

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

I'd suggest contacting the airline direct. Don't fly with Jetstar for mission critical flights. I can tell you flying 10 hours later than originally planned is neither fun nor wanted, even when staying with family.

While their main routes Hanoi/HCMC etc do have frequent flights - so at worse, you might find you get shifted to another, provincial airports do not. Our 10am departure was cancelled (on the day) to be replaced with a 4pm flight (that originally didn't even appear on the schedule). That departed 4 hours late! In the meantime VA aircraft were flying in and out of the airport. I seriously did consider buying new tickets with VA and would have, if there had just been me. But for 4, it was a bit too much. Pay the extra, you won't regret it.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

I would contact them as suggested above

The domestic allowance is 20 kg which we found was ample as well as our hand luggage. International flight was 30kgs.

I think if you book all flights, including the international, on the one ticket the baggage allowance can then be 30 kg for all flights but again you would need to check.

I am a VN fan .... the excess price you have quoted seems quite reasonable anyway

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

Thanks for the replies.

I already have our international flights booked through another carrier so can't wrangle the extra baggage that way unfortunately! And we've pre-paid for the extra baggage on our international flights (there are a few of them) so that's why we need the extra on the internal Vietnam flights!

I agree that the excess baggage fee does seem quite reasonable but Jetstar still works out cheaper with pre-purchased excess baggage, and the one flight that we're looking at booking with them is not a mission critical flight so I think we might risk it!

Thanks again for the replies!

Kelly :)

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Purchasing Excess Baggage When Booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:17