We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fist time visit

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Fist time visit

Thinking of a visit (mainly relaxation) this Easter, but have no idea where or what to look at, other than beach with some cultural opportunities. Is this a reasonably good time re the weather?

We are in our 50s, like our creature comforts, but hate big corporate hotels and brash resorts. We prefer to eat out, from cheap local to good international so would be looking for plenty of choice.

For anyone who knows it, we like Bophut Fishermans Village on Koh Samui.

Any of you experts out there got any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fist time visit

Probably a place like Hoi An Ancient Town for you:

travelfish.org/location/…hoi_an

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fist time visit

We too are in our 50s and have discovered Betel Homestay, in Hoi An and fell In love with the place. The relaxation in their tropical garden is difficult to pull yourself away from. The beach and sea was lovely when we were there at Easter. Enjoy.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fist time visit

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Betel home stay looks like our sort of place, as does Hoi An......but would prefer something v near to a beach.......like sitting, reading, watching the world (waves) go by.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fist time visit

Hi!

just read your post about Vietnam, was really really hoping for advice and help as my husband wants to go in April 2013 flying in and out of Saigon from Newcastle using eremites ( we live just north of morpeth ) were hoping to travel from the south over to Cambodia then Laos before traveling from Saigon up to Hanoi . any information would be greatly appreciated

at this time.

Kind regards Pauline B..

Hope this gets to the lady from Sunderland which is just down the road from us !!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 30 December 2012, 22:17
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fist time visit

Pauline, depending on which parts of Laos you plan to visit you might like to rethink the order of your proposed itinerary. If you have Vientiane and Luang Prabang in mind, both are much closer to Hanoi than Saigon.

As you are flying into Saigon more logical order would be Newcastle -> Saigon -> Phnom Penh -> Laos -> Hanoi before working your way south to HCMC, the number of stops en route depending on how much time you have available.

With that itinerary, and bearing in mind that you will be entering Vietnam twice, it will be essential have have a multiple-entry visa for Vietnam. Visas for Cambodia and Laos can be picked up on arrival but that is not the case for Vietnam, for which you will either have to have an embassy-issued visa in your passport or obtain a visa on arrival approval letter before you arrive.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fist time visit

My original post seems to have been hi-jacked. Can I bring it back to the point and ask for further help please?

Thanks.

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
363 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fist time visit

Vietnam is very nice to visit the country with diversity of cultures, landscapes, people and foods.

You should visit Vietnam to get this peaceful country

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fist time visit

SO VERY SORRY KIPPER !!

that was never my intention i was trying to contact the person who lives close to us ( in Sunderland ) but some how posted in on TripAdvisor by mistake.

I am sure you will receive plenty of advice and help from others.

kind regards Pauline B..

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fist time visit

I highly suggest Hoi an and Nha trang... Hanoi and HCMC may be to busy for you, i can suggest some great relaxing places to stay in these cities if you like.

10. Re: Fist time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 15:28