We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam trains

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam trains

Hi,

We are traveling to Vietnam in may and want to book our trains in advance. Can anyone recommend any on line agents who can sell tickets.

Thanks amanda

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam trains

We used Indochina Voyages to book all our transport. www.indochinavoyages.com

But have you fully researched train travel in Vietnam? It's OK for short journeys, but not recommended for long trips. A search on these forums and on TA's Train Travel forum will give you some idea why. If your time in Vietnam is limited then flying is a much better option.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam trains

I agreed with the above post that it is not very comfortable to travel by train for a long journey . I would not take the train over 400 km in distance.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam trains

Make sure you look at seat61.com for a run down on timetables and fares , very informative

4. Re: Vietnam trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 02:05
Edited: 12 August 2013, 02:05
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,952 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam trains

Possibly the LIvitrans service fom Ha Noi to Da Nang is OK; I have not experienced that. And the scenery from Hue to Da Nang is indeed gorgeous and not to be missed.

But after that, the train from Da Nang to is not Livitrans, and IMO is very uncomfortable. If you could sleep on a plank being rolled over a rock garden, perhaps it is for you. But we slept _very_ poorly on this route and the first thing we did on arrival was check into our hotel for a long nap.

I would hazard a guess as to why the Man in Seat 61's FIL is reading a newspaper, is because after you've seen your 100th rice paddy/buffalo/tiny village you're pretty well over it.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam trains

Hi - your site is very very useful thank you. It seems we can book trains in Vietnam via vietnam railways .com - the SE3 leaving at 2300 from Hanoi. Is this site legitimate?

Thanks

Karen

Edited: 20 March 2013, 00:53
brisbane
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam trains

Hi - Have you now visited Vietnam, your post was dated March and now it is October, and who did you end up pre-booking your rail travel with? We are not going until March 2014 but we are travelling with 3 kids two of them 2yrs and 7yrs so want to pre-book accom and rail, especially to make sure that we get to destination for the accom that we have paid for. would appreciate if you could let me know,

regards

Karen A

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam trains

Karen,

October is the off-season, you only need to book the train tickets a day or two in advance; it's very easy to do; your hotel can do it for you for a minimal fee.

It's typhoon season in many parts of Viet Nam; you might have to change plan, switching from one city to another.

Calgary
Level Contributor
909 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam trains

Karen:"

Reach out to me in December.

We leave in 2 weeks with an 8, 6 and 3 y/o. Poster #2 has also been very helpful.

I'll try to pass on some tips ....

brisbane
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam trains

Hi thankyou Kottbullar, will do, have a great trip, and sorry John P but I don't think you have read my post correctly, we aren't going til March 2014 and I don't want to purchase tickets day before that's why I have asked if the previous post had travelled yet, don't know about others with small children but I don't want to have to spend too much time working out where we stay and how to get there when I can do it in the luxury of my home, we will be a party of 5 in Vietnam for a month, if I was travelling pre-children no probs, thanks anyway.