We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing in Vietnam

Leeds
2 posts
Save Topic
Proposing in Vietnam

Hello all!

I am planning on proposing to my wondefull ladyfriend of two years this summer (end of July/ begining of August) and although i'm perhaps getting a little ahead of myself, I am already attempting to formulate a few cunning plans to make it as memorable as possible.

We will be visiting HCMC, Nha Trang, and Hanoi (mostly just for Halong Bay though, as we only have about 48hrs to spare).

Broadly speaking I want a location that's beautiful, whilst being relatively quiet/remote. Currently Nha Trang and Halong Bay seem like the most obvious locations, however both have a couple of negative points.

From everything i've read Halong Bay is going to win out on the natural beauty stakes, however as we will be on a Junk cruise, i'm pretty sure getting further than a few meters from a complete stranger is going to be tricky at the best of times.

I've heard some mixed things about Nha Trang, it doesn't look like its going to be quite so pretty, and maybe a bit of a gap-year tourist trap (nothing personal guys, you just don't scream romance). However, we have booked Mia Resort, which has some rave-reviews and as it's out of the main town, seems to have a nice looking beach, pretty much to itself. Also, I think at this time of year, Nha Trang is possibly a better gamble weather wise.

At this stage, I'm leaning towards spending the day spa-ing/mudbathing it up with her, followed by a beach sunset stroll/proposal, followed by a private dinner on the beach that is put on by the hotel.

If I was doing this at home, or somewhere I felt confident communicating with (don't think i've quite got time to be learning Vietnamese between now and then), i'd try and go a little grander - maybe have a boat pick us up from the beach/organise a few fireworks/arrange some candles. But i really don't know how I can do this all from dreary England via emails in broken English. The chances of me being able to sneak off and sort any of this when i'm over there are decidedly slim.

Anyway, I would greatly welcome, any suggestions/advice that anyone has to offer.

Thank you!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

If u contact mia, they will be more than happy to help u. They are very efficient but fireworks forbidden in vietnam. Also u could organize a private cruise on halong bay.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

Aaw, that's so sweet Gary - and completely belies the (obviously erroneous belief that northern men have no romance in their souls.

Actually a couple of years ago another northern lad planned just what you have in mind, but on Phu Quoc Island. Private table on the beach, white tablecloth - the works. Much to everybody's relief the love of his life said yes.

Proposing on Halong Bay would be extremely difficult unless you charter a small private boat as there will be too many people around and the schedule of activities allows little privacy, apart from in the cabin.

I've not been to Nha Trang so shouldn't really comment, but I get the impression that the main tourist area is far from romantic so a secluded resort would be a must.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

I'm not sure what your boat will be like, but you can get privacy on the upper deck at night watching the stars...depends how private you need it to be. Don't worry to much about the venue, your wife to be probably wont care that much, so long as its said with meaning. Good luck

Nha Trang, Khanh...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

I proposed at Ha Long bay everyone was tired and went into their cabins at around 10pm so we had the top deck to ourselves, it was nice and worked out well. Nha Trang isn't that romantic I cannot think off hand that would be ideal for a proposal, Mia resort is very nice though maybe the staff their might do something special for you. You could also rent a motorbike or rent a car and take her to yang bay water fall, chances are it could be full of tourists though. You also have the option of renting private boats in Nha Trang the city looks very beautiful at night from the sea. You might be able to get away with doing something grand I met a Korean man here and he rented out a resort restaurant and filled it with flowers and candles for his proposal. If you want to plan something you can send this person an email she might be able to set something up from you she speaks English well and she does all sorts of custom travel and accommodations for people in Nha Trang : vinh_thinh_travel@yahoo.com her name is Hieu

Vietnam
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

I have a feeling that your girl friend is a lucky person to have such a thoughtful boyfriend! If you can afford just a little bit more to have a private junk cruise ( Bhaya Legend should be considered ) to be on your own. Get to a deserted island and hide your proposed ring under an oyster shell or before boarding on the island, hold your girl stay on board a few extra minutes so one of the crew team can get a head, do whatever you want to do in advance ( write your proposal on sand... leave some food-drink...etc). If you are confident enough, advise the boat crew to leave you guys alone and be back in something 2 hours... Will be fun and memorable, I hope:-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

Hey Gary,

Not many of us romantics left mate. I tried to propose on Halong bay but the wife showed up on the upper deck and ruined it :-) Pretty little swedish filly she was too!!!

Seriously, I can think of nowhere more majestic than the bay at sunset. I have no doubt the others on board would be thrilled to give you and your girl a few moments alone and then celebrating (or commiserating) afterwards. The thing with the junk is you have a captive audience, and she can either swim to shore or say yes :-)

Good luck mate,

Mark

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

Red Dragon Junk - only a handful on board and quite sure u get the crew involved. ;)

8. Re: Proposing in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16