We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
561 reviews
Save Topic
forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

I have made arrangements with our tour guide to pick us up from hcm airport and proceed straight to our tour which starts off at the cu chi tunnels and then towards mekong delta. I know that forex at the airport is poorer than forex in the city, my route doesnt allow me to go to hcm first. Is there any forex from the airport towards the tunnels and/or mekong delta or am i better off changing some at the airport?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

Just use US$ and change it when you get to the hotel. US$ is widely used in Vietnam.

philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

I am arriving at HCM airport in the morning and going straight out on tour with the guide. Thus I will be checking in at some small hotel at the Mekong Delta. Would it be better to prepare some small change US$ for use on the 1st day, or change a little, like $100 at the airport, or at any forex along the way?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

al,

I found the airport exchange rates were pretty good anyway. You might be talking about $1 or $2 difference in $100 cashed. Certainly not enough to stress about and upset your trip IMO.

Mark

philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

thank you for the replies. So i will just change some at the airport and prepare small bills in dollars until I finish my mekong tour and reach HCM.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

NO, Vietnam currency is not the USD but the Dong and you are not from Texas so what is the point to pay banks to change your currency to USD and pay again to change it in Dong?

The airport is full of ATMs, use them.

CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

You'll visit the touristic places so do not worry about forex. You can use US$ anywhere base on the daily exchange rate. Once you are in Mekong, you can ex some at your hotel. The guide will help you more details. Take it easy.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

Zendinicky, it's great you're here passing on your experiences, but your advice in this instance isn't great- yes, vendors will accept USD but in the wash up you end up paying more. This is even moreso when the person is not from the US -as is the OP in this instance_ and thus to get USD will already lose on the exchange.

8. Re: forex question-from airport straight to mekong delta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:15