We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road rules

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Road rules

Having observed the driving in Vietnam for a few days it appears the rules are as follows,

1. There are no rules

2. They officially drive on the right hand side of the road but left side and in the middle is Ok, even the wrong way up the road and if really desperate the footpath,

3 At intersections toot your horn loudly, close your eyes and accelerate,!!!!!!!

Somehow the madness seems to work

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road rules

It works fine. Everyone rides the way their parents do, that's how they learn. They're supposed to go to driving school and take a test. Lots of them don't.

This means that they are oblivious to traffic signs and the official traffic code. And that's where it gets dangerous for foreigners to ride, because foreigners will usually obey signs, lights, and sensible things like looking over one's shoulder.

So they go the wrong way in the wrong lane and they think it is perfectly normal. Because everyone does it.

The above is true for scooter drivers. Car drivers (probably) have a real license. And they mostly obey the rules. But in bit cities like HCMC they are unlikely to let your cross the street if they can pass you close enough to tear the buttons off of your shirt.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road rules

Spot on Mick but they don't just honk at intersections :-) He who honks loudest lives longest!!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road rules

Is was surprised there is only few honking in the cities. Maybe I've been to India too many times the last years ;)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road rules

Yes, it does work, I love how you just cross the road into a sea of motorbikes and not one hits you. :-))

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road rules

Chrella

I love how you just cross the road into a sea of motorbikes and not one hits you. :-))

----------

Sadly there is always a first time................... seen it happen too many times.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road rules

Hi, we arrive next Tuesday and I am really worried about crossing the road.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road rules

Don't stress Janis

Just shadow a local until you get used to it. The locals won't mind you tagging along, just offer a smile :-)

We were shown on our first trip to walk slightly diagonally into the oncoming traffic, maintain your speed and don't make eye contact. Seems to work ;-)

Mark

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road rules

Hey Mark,

walk slightly diagonally - is that before or after the g and t's !

Victoria

Brisbane
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road rules

Thankyou, I will just tag along with a local.

Hahaha

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road rules

Why anyone would walk diagonally and thus stay longer in the street is beyond me. And don't forget, traffic more often than not comes from both directions.