We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Questions

Calgary
2 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam Questions

Hey guys. Just two questions for the forum hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

1) Should I book things (flights, buses, guided trips, etc) before I arrive in Vietnam or after I arrive? I plan to stay at hostels while I'm in Vietnam so I'm thinking they'd all have someone on staff who can book all these sorts of things.

2) How much Vietnamese Dong (currency) should I bring with me? Or should I wait to get it once I arrive in Vietnam?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Questions

1. Depend on the time you travel

2. I guess you can only get Dong in Vietnam. Even you can get it somewhere else, it's better to bring USD, EUR to exchange in Vietnam. CC is widely accepted here, ATMs are availableb in cities.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Questions

When are you travelling? Depending on season it may be possible to book all on the fly as needed but in peak times you may run a risk in doing so.

In terms of money we just got some out from the airport atm on arrival, if you are paying for visa on arrival you will need USD to do so. ATMs are abundant in Vietnam and we had no problems with Visa or Mastercard being accepted.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Questions

If you know your itinerary book your flights ahead of time - it will save quite a bit of money. Rest can be pretty much booked as you go. US $ for your VOA, dong get after you arrive at an ATM - make sure you let your bank know your travel plans and dates so they don't block your card

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Questions

The only thing I think you need to book is the flights, the rest won't be a problem.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam Questions

Don't try to get VND in Canada, the exchange rate will be poor. If your bank charges horrendous foreign use ATM fees (as I believe some Canadian banks do) and you prefer to exchange cash, you can exchange CAD in Viet Nam, if you don't have USD laying around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam Questions

Has had anyone had experience: www.vietnamgrouptour.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam Questions

1. You can generally get a bus ticket within a couple days of travel. For domestic flight, I generally book early, several months in fact. Since I'm pretty big, I generally pay the premium for a business class fare, which is easily changed for no charge. I've changed tickets for different dates or flights for no charge and it's easy when plans change at the last minute. The cheapest tickets go fast with VA but plane travel in Vietnam is relatively cheap.

2. If you have dong, bring it. If not, change a small amount (maybe $25 US equivalent) at the airport in Vietnam, enough to get you into town, where you can get a better exchange rate. As YorkFoodie said, don't change local currency for dong at your big bank in Canada. Same goes for the States; it's highway robbery on the exchange rate. Should be illegal in my mind but "profit" isn't a nasty word. And, like others said, bring your ATM card and one backup credit card. Notify your bankcard and credit card companies of your dates of travel and not to block transactions from the countries you plan to visit during your travel period. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam Questions

book travel. Group we met up had to bus because air tickets sold out. its a long uncomfortable bus from hanoi to hoi an. And longer hoi an to HCM!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam Questions

if you book plane tx in canada, they will be way more expensive than booking while here

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam Questions

#9, I disagree. If one uses the Vietnam Airlines website well in advance then the lower fare tickets can be booked - we ran into this situation in where we booked Danang to Hanoi several months ahead of time from the US, but then needed to book Hanoi to Danang when we were in Hanoi due to a change of plans - cost was more than twice what we had paid because all the lower fares had sold out.