We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

devon
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

Hi Experts

Please could you offer me some of your advice. My boyfriend and I (we are 27 yrs old) are planning a holiday in Vietnam for the last two weeks of August. We are aiming to arrive on the 17th and leave on the 31st. We are expecting to fly into Ho Chi Minh but if you would recommend Hanoi we could do that instead.

I have read so so so many forums/reviews/websites and to be honest I am getting too excited and trying to fit too much in. Having not been there before but travelled Thailand I am assuming the travel between towns/places could be long so we dont want to pack in too much.

Essentially we want it to be a chilled holiday. We really want to go to Hoi an for the lunar celebrations and I have read the Phu Quoc Island might be up our street. We understand that weather in August can be wet and are prepared for this however some advice on the 'best weather' areas for this time of year would be great.

What would be your itinary if you only had two weeks in August? A little site seeing and lots of relaxing? Whats the best way to travel to the places you suggest?

Any advice would be so welcome!

Thanks in advance.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

I wouldn't attempt to suggest an itinery but would recommend that if you want to go to Phu Quoc and Hoi An you would be better flying into HCM and staying in the South and Central areas.Weather wise, you may be lucky, we have been to Hoi An early September and it was flooded but it changes quickly.

Best advice is to pick either the north or the south and don't try to do both. You say you want to chill out, personally I couldn't go to Vietnam and not go to Hanoi to roam around the Old Quarter and relax over a beer in the utter chaos but its a personal thing. A lot of forum contributors I'm sure will agree that if you are looking for a beach chill out, you have picked the two best places but there is so much more to see here and the beaches will not be as grand as in Thailand.

Once you know where you want to be you can look at travel but I imagine flying would be your best option between the two as it is a long way on a train. The north will be hot and humid but we always find it bearable. Not sure about the south. Hoi An being in the middle means you will be best to decide between north or south else you will be travelling for a large amount of time..

Edited: 29 April 2013, 17:28
leicester
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

On a additional note, chilling out on a boat in Halong Bay was pretty awesome!!!

devon
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

Thank you very much for your ideas. Good to know we are at least thinking of a manageable few places. A boat trip sounds idyllic.

Will keep searching! Thanks again

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

We concentrated on the south last August and the weather was perfect. You could easily do Hue, Hoi an, HCMC through to the Mekong and finish with a great relax on Phu quoc island. IMO. Otherwise a week in the north and a week doing Hoi an, Hue and the mekong. Nha trang and Mui ne are great places for beach time as well.

Here is a link to some handy weather info, thanks Owee.

owee58.com/2010/…

Good luck, happy researching.

Mark

5. Re: Last two weeks of August in Vietnam ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:18