We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Hi, what do you all think of the following intinery for 2 weeks in Vietnam at the end of May/start June. I am a little worried we are trying to do too much but honestly don't know what to miss!!

3nights Saigon (arrive very late so it's really only 2 days)

Fly Saigon-Hanoi

2 nights Hanoi

1 night cruise Halong Bay

Overnight train to Hoi An

3 nights Hoi an

Overnight train to Nha Trang

2 nights Nha Trang (vin pearl water park for kids!!)

Fly Nha Trang- Saigon & leave Vietnam same day.

While our kids are well travelled & cope with ALOT, are we putting too much not this??

Mekong Delta- is this a must & can you do this as a day trip from Saigon?

Husband keen to see some of the tunnels - where do you recommend these are best seen??

Thanks for all your help, TA help is the best!!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Are your children _really_ good sleepers? I ask because the overnight trains are quite bumpy and noisy and we find it difficult to sleep well, leading to arriving exhausted and in need of a sleep at a hotel. So if your children are likely to be tired and cranky the next day, I'd fly between Ha Noi and Da Nang at least and Da Nang and Nha Trang if possible. Do note that the train does not go to Hoi An, it goes to Da Nang then you have to complete the journey by road.

If you do take the train, be sure to take toilet paper or tissues, and soap for hand washing. Also snack foods.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

You can do a day trip to the Mekong but overnight is better.

It's a pity you are arriving and leaving from HCMC - I gather the flights are booked? It would have saved you some time to arrive HCMC and depart Hanoi.

As much as Hoi An is one of my favourite places I would consider maybe killing one night there and using it for the Mekong, as I believe it's a must.

I find that children sleep much better than adults on the trains so that shouldn't be an issue as long as you can manage being sleep deprived.

It's a flat-out itinerary, but if you have good stamina and get some early nights whenever you can then you should be ok.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Our kids are pretty hardy & sleep when they need, have to used to it with plenty of travel....I am now wondering whether to just miss Nha Trang, spend the extra time in Mekong...

3nights Hanoi

1 night Halong Bay cruise

O/night train to Hoi An. (I know it will be an "experience" but we are up for it :)

3 nights Hoi An

Fly to Saigon

4nights Saigon (? One of these nights Mekong)

Sound better anyone??

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Your itinerary is already busy . If you want to do Mekong Delta trip I would not suggest 1 day tour which is too rush. You should save Mekong Delta for another trip. There are lots to do and see in the Mekong Delta and great place for family 's experience Otherwise you have to skip one of the town in the plan.

Cheers

Nhung

Canberra
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

Hi there, we've taken young travelers with us on trips to Vietnam and found that they cope quite well. If yours are travel hardened like ours they will be fine. A little treat like Nha Trang - Vin Pearl might be a good thing though.

I can see you are keen to do all the main vietnam sights - south, north and central. Another option maybe to think about is to just fly up to Danang, spending time Hoi An and coming back by train through Nha Trang before going out to the Mekong after returning to HCMC. Or you could do it in reverse - see Mekong first and then head up to Danang/Hoi An etc. Save Hanoi and Halong for next time when you can give it the right amount of time, and allocate those days to the other parts of the trip. Just a thought - it will save you considerable time spent on travel and allow you to chill a bit more.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

We had a day at the water park in Nha trang and to be honest it was lots of fun but myself and young son had been travelling for 3 weeks from Hanoi. Distance in Vietnam is greater than most people think and we never got to do the Mekong delta in our first visit. Incorporated that into next trip combined with cambodia. We loved Sapa and halong bay. Hanoi is fab and we then headed to Hue. Hot but glad we visited. Hoi an was my favourite and we did lots of bike riding before flying to Nha trang. Enjoy but don't try and jam too much in.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 06:51
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

I think ur planning is reasonnable. I wouldnt add Mekong Delta as it is a lot of traveling.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

We just returned from a two week trip to Vietnam with 3 children aged 12, 10 and 7. Flew into Ho Chi Minh where we spent the first 2 nights and the 4th night. The 3rd night we organised a private tour into the Mekong Delta for the night. For us parents it was the highlight of the trip and a great cultural experience for the kids although they wouldn't see it as their favourite stop! From Ho Chi Minh we flew to Nha Trang where we spent 3 nights of relaxation including a day trip to Vin Pearl which was the highlight for the kids. From Nha Trang we flew to Hoi An for 4 nights. I recommend a cooking class there and half day tour to the My Son temples. From Hoi An we flew to Hanoi where we spent 3 nights and then 1 night on Halong Bay Cruise. We found the number of days spent in each spot ideal. I can highly recommend the travel company we used in Vietnam to organise our Mekong Delta tour and Halong Bay tour. It is called "Vietnam Alive" and the man running it is called "Van" who is a fluent speaker in English and very professional to deal with. He also organised our internal flights and on occasion organised for a driver to pick us up from airports and take us to our hotels. He can basically organised anything you want and is very reliable. All in all our two week holiday was a fantastic experience and we would recommend Vietnam to all of our friends with children.

9. Re: 2 wk intinery travelling with 3 young children- too much???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:16