We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Hello! We are looking at coming to Vietnam, flying in and out from Singapore in December. We have 2 children aged 10 and 8. They are lots of places in Vietnam we're interested in doing but don't want to spend all our time travelling, and I'm a bit confused about how to get around.

The places we are interested in are Phu Quoc, Mekong Delta, Hoi An and possibly Hanoi (with Halong and Sapa) and possible HCMC. We do like exploring and aren't so much into the big touristy things.

Do you think we should focus on southern Vietnam? Particularly as the north would be cooler (we live in the tropics).

Would it be too much to do Halong Bay and Sapa as well?

We've been to Thailand so is Halong similar to what you see near Phuket and Krabi?

How do you get to the Mekong Delta?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for any advice.

Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Oh, and I did wonder about Da Lat, instead of Sapa, to see more mountainous areas.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

A glimpse of Ha Long Bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxgpaTxhVVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXcYnrwqJxY

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

The one thing you might want to consider is that in December, sometimes Ha Long Bay and Sapa can be misty/foggy such that you can hardly enjoy the scenery (in the worst case scenario.)

You may play it by ear and make a few alternative plans from which you can choose from once you arrive into HCMC.

Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

OK thank you. So would DaLat be a good alternative to Sapa if we decided to concentrate on the south? Or just stick to the coast with Hoi An and Phu Quoc plus Mekong.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

I wouldn't dismiss Halong Bay even if it might be misty in December. By all reports the mist makes the experience more atmospheric, although I haven't experienced mist there myself myself so can't make a categorical statement.

Re Dalat, I've only been there once and that was many years ago, but I absolutely loved it and the surrounding countryside, and not only because there were very few tourists there at the time. However it's nothing like Sapa in that the mountains are gentler and there are no ethnic minority people in traditional clothing. Special in its own right, but not an alternative to Sapa, which you can always visit on your next trip!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Hi Topendgirl,

we are planning to go to Vietnam with kids, aged 13 and 9, also in December. We will be flying in and out from Hong Kong. Only after I bought the tickets, I realised that the central and North may not be as perfect weather in December. The probability that these regions are rainy, misty and cold is higher, though it is a question of luck whether you meet good weather during travel.

Travelling with kids costs a fortune, so I would like to plan for higher probability for good weather. I decided to go to South Vietnam for 9 days in December - Mekong Delta and Phu Quoc. These will be more for relaxation (beach life and boat/cruise) and to feel the heat of 30°C, as it will be cold and snowing at home. HCMC will be mainly for getting on and off the planes. Though there are some fun parks for the kids, if you need to find them more programmes in the south. Central Vietnam is said to have pleasant temperature in December, but is rainy season....

We plan to go to the North and Central during Easter holidays next year in April - to see Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa, then down to the Central part Hoi An, Hui, Dalat, and ...? I have not finalised this trip yet.

You have to make your decision.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Nhatrang is nice beach.

• Day 1: Arrival Hanoi

• Day 2: Hanoi - Halong Bay

• Day 3: Halong Bay - Hanoi

• Day 4: Hanoi city tour - flight to Danang / Hoi An

• Day 5: Hoi An sightseeing

• Day 6: Hoi An - Tra que village

• Day 7: Hoi An

• Day 8: Hoi An - Danang - flight to Nhatrang beach

• Day 9: Nha Trang Sightseeing

• Day 10: Nhatrang sightseeing

• Day 11: Leave Nha Trang to Hochiminh city.

• Day 12: Hochiminh - My Tho - Can Tho

• Day 13: Can Tho - Hochiminh

• Day 14: Hochiminh – Cu chi tunnels

• Day 15: Hochiminh

• Day 16: Ho Chi Minh City Departure.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Hagchi and John are right about the weather in the north and central Vietnam. If this is the first and last trip to Vietnam. I would still recommend you to Visit north and central Vietnam because Hoi An, Sapa and Ha Long Bay are must see places that you wont regret when visit. If it's not the last trip to Vietnam so just focus on the best weather destination (The South). Plenty of things to do right there in 15 days.

And About Da Lat: This place is beautiful, make people feel relax, but sometime has the sweet sadness. If you go to Da Lat. Dont miss Nha Trang - tourist area but beautiful and plenty of activities, thought it will be the highlight for your children

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Tuntravel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

Here's something about Dalat for you to consider:

visit-mekong.com/vietnam/dalat/activities.htm

www.dalattrip.com/dalat-railway-station/

travelblog.org/Asia/…blog-463171.html

Some of the attractions near Dalat may not be much for adult travelers, but can be kid-friendly.

There are ethnic minorities in the area, but most of them live far off the city. Those who live closer to town have become more and more westernized. Some of them are recruited to be performers at shows organized by tourist companies.

The kids might enjoy the Crazy house, the 7km train ride, the pony ride, the ostrich ride, and the short cable ride at the falls.

You can also rent tandem bike to ride around town.

The night market is also pretty cool.

Too bad, I think you will miss the Flower Festival; I think they only organize it once every two years, toward year end.

You can also google to watch some videos of "Thien Vien Truc Lam Dalat".

Do the same for XQ Dalat or XQ Historic Village Dalat.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 nights in Vietnam with 2 children

For two weeks, you would see less and enjoy more, 4 places should be perfect. In late December, the north may be cold so plan more time in the sunny south.