We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

Read in another post tipping not the norm, nor expecting, but in the exclusions of a tour i will do it lists 'tip for tour guide'. Is my guide, or i suspect different guides in several locations going to expect a tip.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

That's one of the costs and problems of a tour. The last few years in VN, the tipping situation is changing because we have spoiled the Vietnamese.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

To be honest with you, 2 years ago, I and my friends (group of Vietnamese students) did tipping the guides lead us to Sapa and Quan Lan island (it's near Ha Long Bay)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

It depends on the tour, the ones we did with Sinh Tourist didn't expect a tip but we tipped the staff on the Halong Bay junk.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

The OP would do well to input the word 'tipping' into the search box instead of starting the nth thread on this well hashed subject.

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

I actually have followed the advice above, and entered 'tipping tour guide' into the search and the first recent (may 2013) response that jumped out at me , was 'try the search box', not an actual answer......and yes by the same respondant.

Anyway I will just play it as I go. I am fine with tipping for good service and as the guide(s) need to collect/get me from/to trains and other transport, the lack of hassles will probably determine any such tipping.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

Dev tipping is not encouraged except by employers who pay just a bare minimum to their employees passing the onus onto the traveller. My suggestion is not to tip as a general thing to do and certainly avoid any outright approaches that you will get from some tour operators. The same thing applies to Agents that request a good review on Tripadvisor at the end of a tour.

By all means round up but please dont add to the county's inflation as tipping does just that.

Cheers Ross

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

Thanks Ross, you get my tip for the most helpful response to date (most others were good info too).

My tour quote came with a breakdown of cost of each day (in Hanoi, Sapa, HoiAn).....$25-30 for day tour, and same for one night tour in Hanoi. (Not sure a guide to take me to a bar or whatever is worth it but hey booked now). My thinking is there is enough in that to pay the guide fairly. I was able to delete airport transfers and accommodation one night that I had prebooked a hotel for, so maybe I have cut a little of their profit margin already.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

Tipping is a personal thing if you feel like they did a good job I don't think giving them a few dollars is that big of a deal. :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

There are not any rules for tipping in Vietnam. It is depending on your satisfaction. If you feel happy with their services you can tip them amount of your think. As on our boat, guest usually tips 2 times that 1 times for the staff on the boat by putting to TIP box, the second tip is for tour guide at the end of tour.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 03:36
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

Post no 9 is an example of subtle pressure to tip.

Ross