We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts

My family and I like to bring small gifts to give to kids as we meet them. Toys,pencils,etc. does anyone have any suggestions what to bring? Small items only.. Thanks

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts

A quick search will reveal that an often recurring suggestion is to bring something representative of your home country.

If you want to bring office utensils, buy them in Vietnam instead of bringing them. I have loads of brand new notebooks and dozens of pens. I usually bring a few on each trip. But that really doesn't help the local economy.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts

girlvl, just to reinforce what Jim B has said, stationery, toys etc. can be bought far more cheaply in Vietnam than they can in the US, and were probably manufactured in the same country. Vietnam is a rapidly developing country, not a Third World one, and just about everything can be bought there, albeit with counterfeits reigning supreme in the case of international brands.

Bearing that in mind, and again as Jim B says, small things representative of your country or state would be appreciated. Hold the stars and stripes though.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts

^saw plenty of viets wearing stars/stripes. I dont think you have to worry too much about that. :)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts

It depends where you go Britmaveric. In many small towns and villages, bad memories linger on among the older generation (and yes, I have listened to their stories) so it's best to be sensitive and diplomatic rather than a brash Westerner. :-)

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts

Nah seen plenty of old timers wearing yank related military gear. Also star/stripes hats/shirts from North to South. Most are more interested in anti-chinese stuff these days.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts

You might have a point, Britmaveric. The online Baomoi newspaper seems to make it a point to carry at least one anti-Chinese piece every other day. Whereas the Thanhnien online favours the other side and seems to be more balanced, to the point of often carrying some anti (Vietnamese) government news. Since both media are government controlled, one still wonders, though :-)

Edited: 20 July 2013, 22:37
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts

Gosh Jim, just goes to show what a wonderful, evenly balanced, egalitarian government the Vietnamese people have. Lucky people. ;-)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts

Really, CB, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts

I would suggest Tags or keyrings for school backpacks...we gave out some that had a little koala or kangaroo on them and the kids loved them

10. Re: Gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:17