We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Hi

We will be visiting Vietnam - as well as Cambodia & Laos - later in the year. I would love to hear how other NZ travellers to this area arranged their money. We are trying to get our heads around whether to change most of our money into US dollars (on a preloaded travel card), or to leave in NZ dollars and use debit/credit cards. Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

If you have access to a debit/credit card with low fees then you're best off with that. Next best would be a travel card loaded with _NZD_. Travel cards have a lousy exchange rate and when you load with a currency not your own (in this case USD) you lose money. Then when you use it to get out a different currency (Viet Dong) you lose again. Check around to see what bank has the best foreign exchange rates and lowest foreign exchange fees.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Telly N, the easiest way to manage your money is to just use your credit card. Yes you do pay a little extra with each withdrawal, but just look at it as being part of your travel costs – it’s minimal really when you add it to your total expenses.

We’ve just come back from Vietnam having nearly a month over there, have just received our credit statement and really it’s not that big a deal. For ease of travel it really is worth it.

Just remember to take some American dollars over with you if you’re doing your Visa on Arrival.

Have a load of fun, the country and the people are beautiful.

Victoria

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Debit card are always cheaper than Credit card.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Thanks, that is very helpful. Victoria, what sort of fees do you pay for each withdrawal with a CC? Because we are a family 0f 5, a couple of days' money will actually be quite a wad of cash. M04 - Do you mean debit cards have lower fees when withdrawing cash? I guess the same advice would apply to Cambodia and Laos also? Now just have to hope our dollar stays up for the next few months! Thanks again for your help.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Telly, for each cc transaction our bank charged $7.50. Seems a lot I know, but your expenses are so much cheaper that your money will go a long way. All added up the bank fees were peanuts. Really it's up to you, what works best for you.

Victoria

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

We were family of 4 and used USA. The rate for NZ to US is so attractive and could carry it easily around. Actually all hotels quoted in and accepted USA. We did also used our usual

eftpos card a few times. But having worked in a bank for many years I like to know just what im paying at the time.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Thanks both of you for your input. PoppyNZ - yes, I am anxiously watching the rate. It was so high when we booked some of our bigger tours. Wish we'd paid more of those expenses then. I presume you put your USD onto one of those travel cards?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Generally cash. Divided amongst four of us its not alot and I carry money belt around. Everything is cheaper there, except wine and drinks. One thing I really disliked is that Vietnam are jumping on the "tipping" bandwagon. and this is being exploited in the tourist market. Watch out because some places really push the tipping. if you want any info PM me. I can give you our thoughts on the great tours, places and things to do from a Kiwi family point of view.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

Only US tourists tip, europeans do not even know what the word mean.

we just pay the bill. that's enough.

or learn from russians, ask for discount always and everywhere, so they forget very fast the word tip ^^__^^

10. Re: Money arrangements for New Zealanders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:17