We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling/treking - heat

New Zealand
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Cycling/treking - heat

Hello

We are coming to Vietnam in late Sept/mid Oct.

Wondering how we will cope with the heat walking and cycling. We were thinking of doing a multi day cycle tour in the Meekong area - have others done this at this time of year and what was the heat like? Also trekking in Sapa late Sept?

Thanks

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

How would you cope with the heat walking and cycling in New Zealand? Here's a link to some information regarding climate:

http://www.vietnamembassy.org.uk/climate.html

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

Sept, Oct are perfect time to trekking, cycling in North Vietnam. It's not heat, but cool in Sapa. the temple is around 25 Celsius degree. Ninh Binh should on you cycling list also.

Cheers

TUN Travel

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

The weather in the south is always warm year round. But in the north, it will be cool from Sept and it is the great time to trek in Sapa.

Sapa Sunshine Travel

New Zealand
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

Hi

Ninh Binh has come up a couple of times in reference to cycling. Wondering if we should reduce our time Meekong cycling to an overnighter and include a couple of nights in Ninh Binh instead? I assume we would do this between Halong Bay trip and Hoi An. What would be the best way to fit this in the itinerary which basically is Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, Hoi An/Hue and how is the best way to transfer and times involved?

Thanks for your help!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

Thanks for the link. I'd already visited this site which prompted my question on people's experiences. Probably not very well in 31 degrees which is why I'm wondering if cycling may be a bit ambitious if we are not used to the heat!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

I don't know anything about the weather in New Zealand, but what can be trying in Vietnam is not so much the heat but the humidity. When you go cycling remember to drink water often. I often go for a 30-40 km ride in Vietnam and always make it a point to stop for drinks. You will need at least twice as much liquid as you would in a drier climate.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

We were in NBinh is Sept/October and I have never been so hot in my life. It was so humid, we were permanently dripping even when stood still. Sapa is cooler but still humid. Also the bikes you hire tend to be lower quality with limited gears and not comfortable so you may not find it enjoyable. It's cheap to hire a moped and a rider which is my preferred option and it is very easy to get lost. NB is around two hours by train from Hanoi and you can go from there down the country to Hue etc. I'd do Hanoi, Sapa, Halong, back to Hanoi and then take a train To NB and on to Hue. Hanoi three days, Sapa is minimum 3 days as the train is an overnight each way, Haling one or two nights depending on your preference (2 nights was great for us as its a four hour bus ride). NB can easily fill two days, Hue the same.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

My trick for dealing with the heat is to "shape up" for the trip. I've had a life long weight problem, but now it's more or less in control. A few months before I travel, I start a regimen of stair walking - really super for increasing metabolism/reducing weight. My real problem now is hats (hate all hats) - but necessary for Vietnam when you're bald!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

You could consider to catch up the train to Ninh Binh in the morning (about 6am) right after your Sapa Trip - as schedule the Sapa train will arrive Hanoi in about 5am. You could also take the private car or bus to Ninh Binh instead of train. Sept/Oct is end of rainy season in north Vietnam, so just expect it's not so humid but dry

Cheers

TUN Travel

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling/treking - heat

daawgon, try a buff ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buff_(headgear) )

I use mine for biking to cover my neck and face when the frost bites, as a bandana in Vietnam, and it has quite a few other uses.