We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Restaurants

Praia, Cape Verde
Level Contributor
79 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in Restaurants

I write this from Hue. In the more touristy parts of Vietnam (Hue, Hoi An, Mui Ne) my family has had our eating experience lessened by having to endure tobacco smoke at restaurants. It is never the Vietnamese people; invariably the smokers are European. I have often felt North American smoking laws were a bit too draconian, but now I am changing my mind. It is one thing in a bar, but to me smoking in a restaurant is bloody rude. Especially when the smokers are from countries in which smoking in restaurants is forbidden or restricted. Today we had to endure some harsh Eastern European tobacco while trying to enjoy the subtle flavours of pho. Very disrespectful!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I hate it when people smoke where near I eat, I feel like I cant taste the food. Even though I do enjoy a cigi after a meal, I would never dare smoke where others have to eat.

As far as people smoking from the same countries where it is banned to smoke in restaurants and for them to do it, is just plain out right rude arrogance.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

We also had a problem with this as we're not used to people smoking in restaurants but there's nothing you can do about it as it isn't prohibited, you would just think that people would have more respect for others.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

It is prohibited. Smoking in indoor public spaces is not allowed in Vietnam, as far as I know. Not that many care.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Asia is the king of smoking - just one of those things - no good to whinge about it.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I prefer smoking over the kitchen midden like floors of many restaurants. Seriously. Even though I am a happy ex-smoker.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,723 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

To solve this problem, who don't you eat at one of the thousands of open air restaurants in Vietnam. I hate secondhand smoke also, but I have a much bigger issue with secondhand smoke here in the USA than I do anywhere in Asia (yes, I was surprised also).

I have found that one must accept the customs of the country I'm visiting. I'm a real dog lover, but the last thing I'd do would be to tell the Vietnamese they couldn't eat dog meat (and no, I still dislike even the thought of it).

Praia, Cape Verde
Level Contributor
79 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Daagon, no need for the cultural sensitivity lesson.

If you read my post, it actually pointed out my issue was with Europeans who live in countries where this is not allowed. I just returned from lunch where as soon as our food arrived the Europeans in the table beside us lit cigarettes. I honestly hoped for flatulence so I could go by their table and fart. They are taking advantage of local customs to be knowingly rude.

8. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17