We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is our itinerary crazy?

Newark, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
is our itinerary crazy?

Hello,

My fiance and I are planning an 18-day trip to Vietnam in October for our honeymoon (with a side-trip to Cambodia) and have come up with the following itinerary. We would love to hear any thoughts about travel times in between destinations and whether we are spending too much/not enough time anywhere along the way. We have never been to Southeast Asia but have both traveled extensively. We enjoy roughing it and doing outdoor activities, but since it's our honeymoon, we're also planning to pamper ourselves as much as possible. We thought we would travel by train or boat when possible, but would take a plane to Phu Quoc.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Friday arrive Hanoi 10:55 am spend day relaxing in Hanoi

Saturday Hanoi

Sunday Halang Bay/ bai tu long bay overnight tour (indochine junk?)

Monday Halang Bay overnight tour

Tuesday Hanoi-Da Nang-Hoi an (via overnight train)

Wednesday Hoi An

Thursday Hoi An

Friday Hoi an to hue

Saturday Hue

Sunday hue-saigon-Phu Quoc

Monday Phu Quoc

Tuesday Phu Quoc

Wednesday phu-quoc-hcmc-siem riep (via speed boat?)

Thursday siem riep

Friday siem riep-hcmc

Saturday Mango cruise in the mekong delta

Sunday Mango cruise

Monday Mango cruise

Tuesday leave HCMC 12:45 pm

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Tan Nam Hong
Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, Climbing Tours, City Tours
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,604 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

In your rush to get to Cambodia, you're bypassing some great places in Vietnam (especially in the North and Northwest). For a first timer, I would suggest you stay in VN for the entire trip. In Oct, you also have to be very flex should there be a typhoon on the Central Coast.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

I don't think it's worth the money (Visa and exit fees, entrance to Angkor, flight back...) visiting Siem Reap for just one day. To explore Angkor I would suggest two or tree days at least.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

Being from the US you may think that 18 days of holidays is a long time. It isn't. Especially not in the area you are going to visit. Travel is slow.

I wouldn't bother going to SR for less than two full days of exploring the ruins that are spread over a very large area. Be prepared for change of plans caused by weather.

Why not drop Cambodia (this time, because it is certainly worth a visit), or either the Mango cruise or Phu Quoc in favour of having enough time to enjoy the trip)

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

I'd agree too much traveling and train is notoriously slow.

Curious why Vietnam? Beaches in thailand are far superior especially if you are looking for more of a beach holiday.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 13:33
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,210 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

Agree with the others .. drop Cambodia this trip and come back when you can give it at least 10 days - and cross the speed boat off your list for ever - just not safe (think insufficient safety equipment aka lifejackets and poor maintenance)

also you're planning to take the train Hanoi to Da Nang/Hoi An and then back tracking to Hue - swap the order - visit Hue enroute to Hoi An then fly to HCMC from Danang

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

Yes way to much moving . And all that travelling for one full day in Siem reap.? We are going toVietnam and Cambodia in January .

1 Week in Saigon for new year party,Mekong cruise,chu chi tunnels and Can tho

3 days in Phnom Penh ,killing fields,royal palace and party

4 days siem reap , with 3 day pass to Ankor

1 week Sihounikville and Ko Rong, For beach and fun

1 night Chau doc

Then back to Saigon for 2 days.

Northern Vietnam will have to wait for next visit

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: is our itinerary crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:22