We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 days for two 50 somethings

Durham
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
20 days for two 50 somethings

We are a couple in our late 50's fairly well travelled

We are to go to Vietnam in mid May 14 for around 18-20 days

The flights to get there are fairly cheap so we will have to fly in and out of Ho Chi Minh city

We would like to see HCMC, Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An and like to spend maybe about four nights at a not too crowded beach resort.

We will also be doing a cruise at Halong Bay

Now the questions

What is the best way to get from one area to another, how long in each area

We are not interested in hiking whatsoever, love sightseeing, good food and shopping

Will we need guides or a driver like we do in India

Should we go to the Mekong Delta or give it a miss also we are not interested in the tunnels

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,107 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
489 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

Durhamlass14, enjoy building your itinerary. Vietnam is a wonderful country, and with the airfares between cities cheap it makes seeing different parts of the country easier.

I went for 18 days, for my first time in June, and most of the towns you want to see I visited. My blog could be helpful, on the Travelpod website, search for Vietnam June 2013.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

We too are in our 50s and we used busses,trains and pillion on Motorbikes for transfers....feel free to message me.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

20 days is a good amount of time for a highlights tour! If your budget allows, use flight when possible as Halong Bay and other areas will require car or bus transport.

Don't skip the Mekong Delta, but do avoid the $4 tours there - booked in Saigon. These provide cheap filler itinerary with staged vendors at each turn.

Good Luck with your planning!

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,107 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
555 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

My advice is that you fly from HCM to Hanoi to do the Halong bay cruise first before doing anything else. The reason is mid May will see some possibilities of typhoons hitting the North VN. The sooner you cover that, the better and you will not miss it. Then spend few days in Hanoi before flying to Hue, spend few days here, then to Hoi An town nearby (for few days by the beach, doing day trips, etc). Then fly to HCM City (lots of things, including mekong day trips or overnight trips). If you book early, you can get fairly cheap air tickets with VNA.

Good luck

Matthew Duong

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,107 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

Please do much further research - learn the pros and cons of VN travel and you will enjoy your trip more. Avoid road travel as much as possible as VN roads can be dangerous (esp sleeper buses). Don't crowd in too many stops - that might seem like a lot of time, but everything moves at a slower pace in VN. May will be both hot and wet - prepare yourself by getting in shape before the trip so you're more comfortable in the heat and wet. Use the smaller hotels because you'll meet more locals and friendlier travelers that way. Travelfish.org has great up-to-date VN information - considerably better than hard copy guidebooks in my opinion. I'm 70 and am planning trip #6 - Vietnam is the happy/friendly place to vacation.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: 20 days for two 50 somethings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:21