We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing plans because of November rains...help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Changing plans because of November rains...help

I'm not sure how we missed the rain season in Hoi An in November, but we did and we made arrangements to head there after Hanoi and Laos. Our travel dates were 7 November 2013 to 11 or 12 November 2013 (our flight back home leaves Hanoi at 5pm on the 12th).

We initially chose Hoi An because it has a perfect combination of what my wife and I love to do: beach and town with restaurants, shops and watering holes.

Now we are having a really hard time figuring out another place like this to visit in or near Vietnam. Our honeymoon was in Thailand, so we'd rather not go back (even though we loved it). We are looking for some place relaxing, but still with some life and great food. We thought about Phu Quoc, but I think it would be too boring.

It is just going to be the two of us. We are both in our early thirties and love to travel, learn about new places, see the history and the local people, and love to eat local cuisine. Our budget is right around what we were going to spend going to Hoi An, but can be a little more if you have an amazing idea.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Laos
Laos
Asia
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

bump

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

Well in Mui Ne never rain...

It's the south-est beach apart the island, not too much sand and in November dead season so very cheap, price will double mid december.

Forget any comparison with ANY Thai beach.

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

November falls in a rainy season across the central of Vietnam. It causes a limitation for activities of yours. Looking further to the south, you can find Mui ne beach as a previous post mentioned. This is a nice place to go for days and Dalat can be added to your list for your reference instead of Hoi An.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

Phu Quoc will be better than Phan Thiet - Mui Ne. But I still vote for Hoi An (2 nights). So lovely and charming town.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

Thank you so much for the input. We are going to look into all of these tonight and check back!

@Bao-Oanh, don't you think the chance of rain and flooding is high enough to not risk spending the relaxing part of our trip in Hoi An?

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

If it's any help we were in Hoi an in the middle of October and there had been floods and bad weather the week before and there was still sand bags along the river but we had great weather, we did get 1 day of rain in Hue which is quite near and it was constant but because you're flying out of Hanoi I think i'd still risk it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

Thanks again for all the input! After all the info and careful consideration, we are going to risk it with Hoi An. As we get closer to the date, we may change (since it isn't too expensive), but for now we are crossing our fingers for a few days of great weather!

Thank you again!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

Never rained last year around that time in Hoi An, Da Nang ect - unless you count when we were sleeping.

People get the wrong impression that rainy season is constant rain day/night. It is normally not like this at all. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Calgary
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

We're heading to Hoi An and Hue in November this year, but have just built some flex into our schedule so we can cancel or adjust our destinations based upon 'day before' forecasts.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
10. Re: Changing plans because of November rains...help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 08:05