We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

London
2 posts
Save Topic
2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Tripadvisors... please give us some advice!

I'm planning a holiday in Vietnam with a good friend of mine and we're both really keen to get as much advice as possible before we plan the trip. We've made a basic itinerary (see below) but would love any input on whether or not it looks feasible/suitable/stupid or not.

Fixed factors:

- two 25 year old males with two weeks of annual leave

- flights from UK already booked arriving in AND leaving from Ho Chi Minh

- early October

- ample savings to fund any activities you recommend

Aim of the trip:

- have fun

- move around and see the sights

- meet other young people

- hostels rather than hotels to faciltate the above three aims

Current idea for our itinerary:

day 0 (landing in evening) - go out in Ho Chi Minh

day 1 - day trip to Cu Chi tunnels

day 2 - day trip to Mekong Delta

day 3 - fly to Hanoi and have a night out in Hanoi

day 4 - day in Hanoi and overnight travel to Sapa

day 5 - day in Sapa +/- motorbikes

day 6 - maybe organise a trek for this day?

day 7 - get back to Hanoi / go to Halong Bay

day 8 - day in Halong Bay

day 9 - another day in Halong Bay

day 10 - get back to Ho Chi Minh

day 11 - Mui Ne

day 12 - Mui Ne

Day 13 - Mui Ne

Day 14 - fly home from Ho Chi Minh

Are we crazy or is this possible?

Any advice on other things to do? Other ways to structure the holiday?

We haven't booked the internal flight as of yet.

We would seriously love any and all feedback on the above plan... we're going in pretty blind and would really appreciate any tips!

Thank you.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

You did arrange for visas, right?

London
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Well it's in the process of being sorted out - the application is with the embassy!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

In that case:

You are not doing the Mekong Delta justice. You should at least stay overnight.

You are not doing Ha Noi justice, you'd need 2-3 days.

I realise you have only 14 days but that should be a clear signal for you to limit yourselves. You just don't zip around Vietnam as you would in Europe. Things take time.

As far as meeting other young people, hostels are less valuable than just walking around or eating in restaurants. That's where people are. But hostels are good for low budgets, of course.

I'd stay prepared to amend the itinerary depending on the weather forecast for Sa Pa or Ha Long. That means don't book and prepay too much until you are there.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Skip the overall VietNam plan and concentrate on one section...north or south save the other for next year. Plenty to see and do for 2 weeks in either north central or south for that matter. No shortage of fun to be had for 2 25yo/s. I've spent 10 years travelling around VN and know it's hard to take in the entire experience in 2 weeks. You'll love it and be back for more....believe me.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Drifter is correct, Vietnam is larger than you think, and moving around too much in one 2 wk trip is not the smartest way to go (even flights take more ground time than in the West). You could also just wing it and come and go as the wind blows you according to the people you meet/things that interest you on the ground. As far as the visa is concerned, suggest you do the VOA to save money (like the smart people do).

This is one great country for exploring, and the people here are really better than the sights you will see - get off the tourist trail and meet them (sign language works when spoken language is impossible).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Hi,

If you want to see sights AND meet young people, then spend more time in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city. Perhaps you could make an inquiry to an English training centre/university and spend half a day there with students, lots of fun.

Good luck

Matthew

leicester
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

Stick to fewer places and gain more experiences rather than ticking off towns you have seen. In October I'd stick to the north, Sapa, A two night stay on Halong Bay, Hanoi and suggest as you are looking to meet others and have an adventure try and wrk in a three night stop in Phong Nha Farmstay doing one of their trips to the Paradise Cave or whichever trip appeals. Great fun, awesome place to chill out, and a different experience to lots of others. Alternatively, get to Ninh Binh, hire a moped and rider for around 15$ a day and see the stunning scenery with the wind in your hair! Have a look at the Farm stay on here, read the reviews and see if it appeals. We've been to Vietnam a few times now and I really loved that place.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

For two young lads I would suggest Nha Trang rather than Mui Ne.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 10:25
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

For two young lads I would suggest Nha Trang rather than Mue Ne.

10. Re: 2 guys 2 weeks (in Vietnam)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:19