We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam- December 2013

N K
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam- December 2013

Hi,

I have read great reviews which has helped us plan a trip to Vietnam over 61/2 days in December ( i know its short but cannot fit in more days) currently itinerary is

2 days - Hanoi ( will spend one day at Ha Long bay). wanted to know if we can land in Hanoi & book tour to Ha long or need to book in advance?. And where to book from Ha noi city? good tour operators?

2days - Nha Trang ( over new years). We wanted to do Phu quoc or Can Dao but couldn't get hold of any good accommodation. is Nha trang good for new years, do they have any beach parties we can attend? What are good places to stay?

2days- we want to do Mekong delta. So is it best to do flights from Nha Trang to Can Tho ( no direct flight though) or Fly in to HCM and taxi to Mekong. worth doing Mekong?

thank you

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

Yes the Mekong is well worth a night. Its rural landscape and life bring some extra to your trip. It is also a green place to relax and end your trip.

N K
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

Thanks. Do you know of where to stay. in Mekong itself or Can Tho with day trips.

and do we have to book in advance for boat trips?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

Hi N K,

December is a peak month for tourists coming to Vietnam, so I think booking Halong bay cruises in advance will be much better. Good reputable cruises are often booked full early. If you wait untill you are in Hanoi, you may miss the best option!

Have a great trip in Vietnam!

Halong Bay Legends Travel!

4. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:06
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

Last New year in Nah Trang was raining, windy and cold.

Go south.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

I've been to both Christmas and New Years parties on the beach of Nha Trang. But end of December is pretty close to the end of the rainy season, so all bets are off. But truth be told, I wouldn't go to Nha Trang for only two days, as I don't think it is worth the hassle/cost.

If your mind is made up to see Ha Long and the delta, then 6.5 days should suit you fine. Don't try to squeeze any more into the itinerary.

N K
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

Halong bay legends travel- thanks for the tip. I have read of the tours but its quite difficult to choose since we are looking at one day trip to Ha Long bay. suggest some reasonably priced tour operators?

thank you

N K
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

JimB. - If not Nha Trang, would Phan Thiet or Mui ne be better for new years. Want to have new years on a beach. Mekong is to experience the floating markets and more local things to do.

any suggestions? When you went to Nha Trang for new years, did you book anything in advance or its quite flexible.

thanks

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

You should book in advance, as top rated accommodations are fully booked for those days. Mui Ne may have better weather than Nha Trang but not as perfect as Phu Quoc. Local tourists also travel a lot in New Year Holiday, so book well in advance.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam- December 2013

We were in Vietnam for Christmas 2011. I personally think you need to rethink your plan. Moving that much in 6.5 days will not be fun. It is a 4 hour drive from Hanoi to Halong Bay so Halong Bay as a day trip just isn't worth it in my opinion, but if you must I agree with others and would definitely book in advance at that time of year. I haven't been to Nha Trang so can't comment there. I liked parts of our time in the Mekong (wasn't wowed by their floating market). I wouldn't taxi to Mekong but you could hire a driver - we did an overnight in Mekong with WaterBuffaloTours.com and it was very good.

www.FromHomeToRoam.com