We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another VOA question....

8 posts
Save Topic
Yet another VOA question....

Hi,

We will be travelling from LGW airport to South East Asia on 13th December on Vietnam Airways, landing on 14th December at Noi Bai .

We will be staying in Hanoi for 3 nights, and continue with the same airline to Bangkok.

On 13th January we will be leaving Thailand to get back to LGW, but via Noi Bai again.

Our flights look like this:

LGW to Hanoi, Hanoi to Bangkok, Bangkok to LGW direct ( but via Noi Bai).

I am a little bit confused what sort of VOA do we really need?

Is single entry visa OK, since our last leg flight is BKK-LGW ( but via Hanoi where we will be changing planes)?

Man thanks for any advice.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another VOA question....

As long as you remain in the transit/departure area of Noi Bai on your journey home (i.e. do not go through immigration for a second time) you will only need a single-entry visa.

However I've read that the layover time at Noi Bai for international flights with VN Airlines can be punishingly long, so if yours runs into many hours you might consider taking out a multiple-entry visa and going into town for a while.

Noi Bai has to rate as one of the world's most uncomfortable, unremittingly boring airports in the world as there's virtually nothing to keep you entertained either airside or landside.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another VOA question....

A single entry is valid for 30 days but since you are on transit flight, you do not need another visa entry. Take some books with you.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another VOA question....

Hey,

Many thanks for the info! Good to know single entry visa will be sufficient

We are already aware of how boring Noi Bai airport is, but will be having only 4 hours layover in there, so I guess there is no point leaving it....

Already in process of selecting good books for a trip :)

All the best!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another VOA question....

Ah, you'll be fine then Catsky.

Have a very leisurely meal or snack in the restaurant (overpriced, but that's standard in airports throughout the world), linger long over coffee, then hunker down with a book in the restaurant - it's almost bound to be nearly empty and the staff will be too busy watching TV to care - or in the plastic chairs in the departure lounge.

With a bit of luck the time will fly by!

Enjoy your holiday, and be sure to return to Vietnam some other time to savour the multitude of experiences it has to offer. Three days this time? Pah, that's nowt.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another VOA question....

Transit passengers to my knowledge don't need another visa. However, I ran into a situation years ago, when exiting Phuket on a Malaysian flight back to KL, where I would be transit (with confirmed onward paper ticket) on Malaysian Airlines back to the U.S. The Thai ticketing people would not allow me to check in because my passport had less than six months left on it. I tried to explain the "transit" thing to them but they would not relent. I finally got the Station Chief at Phuket to assist and was eventually allowed to board. Very scary to be caught in a situation of no return!

Since then, I keep a close eye on my passport expiration date :-) Regards,

Richard

6. Re: Yet another VOA question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19