We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Hey guys, I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Have more or less sorted our itininery for Thailand, but have not really looked much at Vietnam yet.

I am traveling with two girlfriends, and one of them would like to go to Vietnam as she is interested in war history. I am not particularly interested, but happy to tag along as I plan on dragging her around numerous temples in Thailand. My other friend has never travelled to an Asian country before and is happy for us to do all the planning.

Does anyone have any advice on places we simply must visit in Vietnam? We are on a very tight budget; a maximum of $au45/day (£26/89,000 Dong).

I am frantically researching at the moment, but would really appreciate input from anyone who has recently travelled to Vietnam on places to visit, accomodation (we are happy to live it rough) and general costs.

Thanks in advance!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

I forgot to mention, we will be there in January.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Each?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Do you mean budget-wise? Yes, each. :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

In my opinion the only must see places in Vietnam regarding the American War are the Cu Chi Tunnels and the War Remnants Museum. Both are located in and around Ho Chi Minh City.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

The DMZ and Vinh moc tunnels out of Hue IMO. The War Remnants most definitely. The Cham ruins at My Son out of Hoi an also.

Mark

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

My suggestion, being a Vietnam/American War veteran is to skip the so called sites and go to talk to local veterans. Be they ARVN, VIET CONG, or NVA. Ask about their experiences. I have many Viet friends from all sides of the conflict and THAT is the most interesting thing about the war. The personal stories are way more substantial than any site you will visit.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Don't forget to factor in Tet at the end of January, it may affect your plans. With a total budget of AUD135/day there will be no need to rough it - you will be amazed at how far so little goes in VN:-), also, your conversion to dong in the OP is incorrect, AUD45 equates to almost 890,000VND (you dropped a zero)

Greg

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Thanks everybody! I honestly don't know why I don't use trio advisor more often, everyone is so helpful.

I think we'll travel through Cambodia, so will be in Vietnam a little later and avoid tet.

We're going to rough it anyway (most of the time!) so we have extra money to spend when we get back to Thailand, as we want to head down South. It tends to be a lot more expensive down that way!

@drifter1dc, my friend is a video producer, so I'm sure she'll be doing plenty of talking to anyone who's willing :)

@sgtgwh Greg, thanks for noticing!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Magpienz

Does anyone have any advice on places we simply must visit in Vietnam? We are on a very tight budget; a maximum of $au45/day (£26/89,000 Dong).

---------------

Glad someone noticed the mistake for you. Do make sure you don't make any while in Vietnam. It will cost you. Best to think of AUD $1 as 20000 dong. Nice easily rounded figure e.g. 100k = $5. Those zeros are a pain and best to keep the high value notes separate, especially the 500k (blue) notes. The 20k notes are also a shade of blue.

You find that for $45 ea. you'll be able to get decent rooms (even more so if you intend to share) and still have plenty left over for meals. Do be aware that Tet travel / price hikes start to kick in a week or so either side of the Tet date.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 05:55
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must dos in Vietnam/war history

Thanks for your advice! Those 0s are tricky!

Do most places provide linen, or would a sleeping bag be a good idea?

Edited: 20 November 2013, 11:54