We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machine in Vietnam

Long An Province...
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machine in Vietnam

I wondered if you had a page/area where 'warnings' could be issued to travellers using ATM's.

I am in Vietnam and have had a horrible problem with an HSBC Debit Card at both a

Agribank and a VietinBank ATM machines, whereby the debit card was rejected, no money

received from the ATM, and a message to contact by bank !. On contacting HSBC I was

informed 'no problem with my Debit Card', BUT to my horror, I found that the amounts I

requested from the two ATM's had been deducted from my account!!!, I am advised that

the investigation would take 40/45 days to complete....!

This I now understand is a common occurrence in the Vietnamese Banking Culture.

The amount concerned totalled VND 5,500,000 (about GBP 170/USD 280).

I would like to warn travellers the dangers of using Debit Cards at Vietnamese Banks ATM's

especially those outside in public area's, use only those ATM's (preferably one that relates

to one's own debit card), inside a banks premises, there are other tips to avoid this situation.

The only country I have ever experienced a problem using an Debit Card at an ATM, after

many, many years is in Vietnam !!!.

An interesting point to include for travellers information, maybe ?

Regards,

Colin J. O'Farrell

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,415 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

You could try the Vietnam Forum. The link is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293921-i8432-Viet…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

.... moved to the Vietnam forums.

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Level Contributor
703 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

Used my 28 Degree card in ATM's everywhere, never had a problem.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

There has been another report of this recently - apart from being short 100,000 VND once, I've never had a problem - I used Citibank Debit card last October and used various ATMs.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

Very detailed and disturbing post.

Tourists in Vietnam have enough problems with street thieves, taxis, cyclos and buses.

For now we have 2 ATM possible fraud in 2 years, before i was reading Thai forums with their damned 150baht tax...

Let's hope they are only technical errors.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

One reason I always try to use an ATM with a bank attached and only during opening hours.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

Had a similar experience and I`ve had a lot of different issues from ATM`s at Hanoi airport.

the worst one was exactly like threadstarter mentioned - was withdrawing 2mill (only) and the card came out, ATM screen goes black and no money came out..

this transaction was also registred by my bank as a successful transaction, tried to make a case out of it but I lost it...

not too much a loss though but its boring..

I never use the ATM`s at this airport again.

Long An Province...
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

Have read the various replies and would like to mention that this occurred with state run/govt supported

bank ATM machines, the two banks that I had the problem with both (but, one more than the other) have

HUGE problems with bad debt. It is interesting to note that the card I was having a problem with was

an HSBC LOCALLY issued Debit Card linked to a local HSBC (Vietnam) account (I live here). Whilst

the ATM machine was removing money from my account and not presenting it at the ATM I used a

UK Debit Card linked to my UK account, worked every time, no problem. This leaves me to believe that

the ATM recognises the difference between a locally issued card from an overseas card, leaves the

overseas card alone and hits the locally issued one. I am assured by my Vietnamese friends and

family that my experience is very widespread. What is really frustrating is that by law an investigation

(and eventual refund), is allowed to take up to 40/45 days. Vietnamese state run organizations either

in the tourist field (Saigontourist), banking, etc have never heard of 'customer service'. In my

experience the government would do well to remove itself from such services, there could only be an

improvement in efficiency, service and Vietnam's image overseas.

I am happy to say that the investigation by HSBC was (in my case) was carried out vigorously and despite slackness by Agribank/VietinBank, HSBC managed to secure a refund into my account, well before the

40/45 days allotted by law to the 'scam'. Much to the credit of HSBC, but then it IS a 'shareholder' based bank!......., ' nough said !.

9. Re: ATM machine in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18