We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning

Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planning

These forums have been paramount in helping me plan our trip to Vietnam at the end of February. I believe I have the majority of it finalized (I am a planner and must have a solid itinerary before travelling). With the advice and knowledge of many on this forum here is what we developed...

February 28- Arrive in Hanoi at 2330 hours

March 01/02 Hanoi

March 03/04 Halong Bay via Eco-tours

March 04 we fly from HaiPhong to DaNang

March 04 to March 10 Hoi An

March 10 we fly to HCMC and stay until March 15.

We dropped the idea of train travel and booked internal flights. The flights were very comparable in cost and gives us extra time in Hoi An and HCMC. We extended our trip by three days to give us a full two weeks on the ground. Unfortunately, the days were added to the end of the trip meaning we gained days in HCMC and not Hanoi.

I would have liked more days in Hanoi but pre-booked my hotel and failed to get cancellation insurance for the Eden Saigon meaning we must be in HCMC by a certain date.

We booked our Halong Bay trip with Eco- friendly tours. Mr. Ba had excellent communication with us and suggested we fly from HaiPhong rather than return to Hanoi. He also ensured that his company will ensure we get to the airport in ample time for our flight.

At this time we only have two nights hotel booked in HCMC at the Eden Saigon. We were going to spoil ourselves by spending our last two nights there before going home. Now we need to make arrangements for three more nights. I have tried emailing Eden Saigon but never receive a response. With that, still deciding what to do from March 12 until we leave on the morning of the 15th. This effectively gives us three whole days of planning in HCMC. I am not overly keen on a Mekong Delta trip and still wondering if I should change hotels or not? We have an XO tour booked for the evening of the 11th then nothing after that.

Any ideas how to fill March 12, 13, 14? We fly home at 0830 hours on March 15...

Once again, thanks everyone on these forums for the endless hours of reading and knowledge provided in these forums!

Calgary
Level Contributor
855 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning

Troy

1- are you really from Nunavut .....lol

2- suggestions: IMHO Hoi An for 6 days might be a bit much. Even on the beach .....

Consider adding 2 or 3 days into the Mekong delta. We enjoyed it. If you are beaching it in Hoi An, consider trimming a day or 2 there, and hitting Phu Quoc at the end.

Murray

Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning

Yes Murray, I am really from Nunavut! 400 plus km. north of the Arctic circle!

We plan on spending some of the Hoi An time visiting Hue/My Son and Marble Mountain.

I think because we live in such an isolated community, Hoi An will provide us with a much slower and quitter atmosphere?

I am currently trying to find a hotel from March 12-15 in HCMC. It would appear the Eden Saigon is all booked? I find it mind boggling trying to wade through all the hotels. I will keep searching...

Calgary
Level Contributor
855 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning

Good to hear it was true!

My Dad was an old flying Judge in the NWT in the late 70s early 80s and I've only been back once since .... am thinking of driving the motorcycle up to Yellowknife this summer, now that its 100% asphalt .... still have a ways to go to your location though .....

We were 3 days in Hoi An in November and were a bit underwhelmed .....lovely and all that. Couldn't get out in the countryside as much as we wanted with the kiddies (I have 3 under 10). Visited the beach one day ......nothing to write home about IMHO .....it just kinda ran out of steam for us. And then Tropical Storm Haiyan was bearing directly down on us .....so we skipped Hue also .....We found Ninh Binh and area much more to our preference, and that surprised us after all our TA reviews.

The Mekong is hot and humid - and kinda fascinating. I was sweating madly the whole time ..... but sounds like not your cup 'o tea. So Phu Quoc might fit your bill (beaches), but will leave others for suggestions.

Are you on China Southern for your flights?

Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning

Yes, we are on China Southern for flights! It is disgusting that three of us can fly Vancouver to Vietnam return for the same price of one person flying Cam Bay, Nu to Vancouver Island.

We looked at Phu Quoc but decided it wouldn't be worth it for two nights.

My wife and 14 yo daughter are looking forward to spending time in HCMC and doing some shopping and exploring.

5. Re: Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:17