We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to? and when?

manchester
Level Contributor
393 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
where to? and when?

Hi,

My OH would love to visit Vietnam. It's his big Bday this year and I considered getting flights for his Bday, but don't know where to start.

I think we would like nice weather (swimming), but don't want to go just for a resort somewhere as he loves to explore (while I love to spend some time sun tanning).

Where and when would you go? Where to flight to, how to get around? Is there a resort type of place from where you can explore some other parts of Vietnam too? Or perhaps spend few nights in a resort, then move (trains??) somewhere else?

Budget probably max £2,5k. He could get the flights as his Bday present (November) and travel could be made any time after that, perhaps May? I've read that is a good month for travelling to Vietnam (appreciate weather varies a LOT, but that is why I am here for advice as to where and when).

Anyone with experience and their itinerary ideas please?

Thank you for reading.

(Flight either from Manchester or London UK).

leicester
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to? and when?

Hi AnyB. Before anyone can really help you need to read up and see what interests you as others can make suggestions but it is your trip and it is very subjective. Have a read on Travelfish or click in the green tab above on Vietnam and go to attractions. You have asked lots of questions about the basic stages of planning and you may get lots of answers all recommending different things. Until you have a little more info you will have no idea which suggestions appeal. It's great fun planning, ask away on here as much as you need to once you have a vague idea of what you want to do.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to? and when?

Vietnam has heck of a lot to offer and caters to all tastes and budgets. However because it's a very long, very thin country and the main attractions are spread far apart along its length there is no one place that can serve as an ideal base from which to explore all destinations. A lot also depends on how much time you have.

I recommend that you do some more research (travelfish is good for that ( http://www.travelfish.org/country/vietnam ) and then return here for replies to more specific questions. The search box is also excellent in that regard as virtually all subjects have been covered tens if not hundreds of times. Once you have decided which destinations in Vietnam are the go, then will be the time to talk about the ideal time to visit weatherwise.

Happy researching, and congratulations on choosing an outstanding birthday present for your boyfriend!

manchester
Level Contributor
393 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to? and when?

Hi,

Thank you. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what to do, apart from me having time in the sun and my OH to see and do something. This could be the big markets, mountains, sightseeing, fishing, make silk.. I don't know!

It is going to be absolute surprise for him so I cannot ask him what he wants to see.

My main question basically is, what is the best base to see/do most variety of things?

I don't want to set my heart on 1 thing only to find it is 150miles from any civilisation and to get there you need to ride a mull...

What is the centre for first timers and how easy is it to move around? Complete novice here, with no idea at all.

Only 2 adults travelling.

Thank you

manchester
Level Contributor
393 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to? and when?

Hi,

Thank you. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what to do, apart from me having time in the sun and my OH to see and do something. This could be the big markets, mountains, sightseeing, fishing, make silk.. I don't know!

It is going to be absolute surprise for him so I cannot ask him what he wants to see.

My main question basically is, what is the best base to see/do most variety of things?

I don't want to set my heart on 1 thing only to find it is 150miles from any civilisation and to get there you need to ride a mull...

What is the centre for first timers and how easy is it to move around? Complete novice here, with no idea at all.

Only 2 adults travelling.

Thank you

Thank you CreakingBones,

I will check the site out.

Any suggestions as to where would you go????

Thank you

leicester
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to? and when?

Hi again, can I ask why you have picked Vietnam if you know so little about it? That may help people to suggest what you may like. There is no centre as such, its a long vast country and has lots of different places depending on what you like. To help you start your planning you really need two weeks to justify the travel time and visa fees etc. a suggested itinerary based on the idea you have no pre conceived ideas about the place and don't want to rough it would be:

Fly into Hanoi

2/3 nights in Hanoi

1/2 nights on Halong Bay on a boat cruise from Hanoi

Return to Hanoi

Fly from Hanoi down to Hoi An

Have 2/3 nights in Hoi An town

Have a few nights in Hoi An by the beach

Return to Hanoi

That covers beaches, scenery and culture without being to rushed. Alternatively you could opt for the south and see HCMC, Nha Trang, Mekong Delta and maybe Phu Quoc Island. Personally I prefer the north.

If you would like me to send you the itinerary we did the first trip including recommended hotels and transport suggestions I am happy to as you sound a bit frustrated. Biggest question, why Vietnam?

Edited: 06 January 2014, 15:49
manchester
Level Contributor
393 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to? and when?

Hi,

I've picked Vietnam because that is somewhere we've never been, would like to visit and find out something about it.

It is really my husband's dream because (and don't laugh), he has seen it on Top Gear special and absolutely loved the look of it.

But to be quite honest, we like to travel to discover places and then it is best to just go where your heart takes you... if we knew the place we wouldn't be that much interested as there is so much of new stuff to see, why would you go somewhere you know?

Thank you, your idea sounds great. I am looking at 10-14 nights.

If you could send me your itinerary to have a look at as a base, that would be amazing.

manchester
Level Contributor
393 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to? and when?

Just for you info, it is his 50th Birthday and he has never been that way East. No Thailand or anything.

So going there would be massive surprise for him and very special.

As for having so little info, as you say because it is such a large long thin country and I have no idea about how easy it is to move around I find the info on the net a bit overwhelming... I was hoping I will manage to speak to someone like you and get a real first hand info from fellow traveller.

Thank you

Edited: 06 January 2014, 21:26
leicester
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to? and when?

Hi, now its a bit clearer...I will send you over some suggestions tomorrow (i will include the riding pillion over the Hai Van Pass as on Top Gear to ensure he likes his present even more) :-)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to? and when?

Aah, if riding pillion in places away from the tourist trail appeals, then I have a few suggestions to add to what Jo has to offer. I've done quite a few myself (both long distance and day trips), despite being a decade and a half older than your husband. And a girly to boot. :-)

leicester
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to? and when?

Go for it CB, we could set up a tour company! :-)