We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam vs Cambodia

Bolton
Level Contributor
504 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam vs Cambodia

We had a great holiday in Cambodia last October and we're going to Goa in 6 weeks time. thinking about Vietnam for October.

Without wanting to seem flippant , how does Vietnam compare to Cambodia considering how close they are??

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Hi Wolfie, in what way do you want comparison? Both VN and Cambodia have many different areas themselves without trying to make comparisons between countries. One thing to remember definitely though is that October is typhoon season in mid to northern coastal areas of VN.

Greg

Bolton
Level Contributor
504 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

my brain is going into melt down about where to go next. I ask the question as when we were in Kampot , a guy working on the rivers commented that even though Vietnam - according to him- was only 50 miles away , he'd never been. Spoke volumes at the time....

we are thinking of doing North Vietnam and content with that. ( would like to fly to Laos but flights very expensive).

Wirral
Level Contributor
703 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Hi Wolfie,

Have you been to Goa before?

Regards

bb

Bolton
Level Contributor
504 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Yes, we did the Golden triangle ( Dehli, Agra, Ranthambore NP, Jaipur ) then a week in Goa in 2012- and loved it.

Wirral
Level Contributor
703 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Then I shall bounce your original post right back at you mate, (if that's ok).

Having visited Goa many times myself, how would you compare Goa to Cambodia ? We will visit Cambodia for the first time at the beginning of Feb after spending a few days in HCMC.

Sorry I cannot be any help to your original post.

Regards

bb

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Hi, you can't compare them as they're 2 different countries, but i think if you enjoyed Cambodia then you would also like Vietnam but you need to do more research, we were there also in October and only had rain in Hue everywhere else the weather was great.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Having travelled to all destinations listed above (India, Cambodia, and Vietnam) I would say that people in Cambodia are much less likely to scam, lie, cheat or abuse you. I'm currently on my second trip to Vietnam and the general consensus is that people working in the tourist industry in Vietnam are rude and not honest. I just travelled yesterday from Cambodia overland here (Ha Tien) and the tuktuk driver I took from Kep was awesome. I had to fight with him to give him a tip. All things changed on arrival in Vietnam at the border a cab tried to charge me 30.00 usD for a 5 minute ride which I refused. He proceeded to abuse be verbally calling me a cheap foreigner and driving off. The hotel tried to scam me when exchanging money. Tried to give be a 50,000 dong not instead of a 500,000 which luckily I caught right away. The guy seemed shameless and had a smile and had the 500K ready and knew he was busted. Didn't have that many bad experiences in Cambodia. even though many people are exponentially poorer than Vietnam they value you as a tourist and want you to return. That said if it wasn't for work I would not really choose Vietnam as a travel destination. many other SEA destinations are more favourable such as Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

You could fly to Bangkok and do an overnight sleeper train to Laos. It's very comfortable and safe. Check seat61 for details. Also air Asia has many connections in Asia through bkk

Bolton
Level Contributor
504 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Ok thanks for that....I'm getting bad vibes about Vietnam. Not researched Laos yet, so don't know what there is yet.....

How long was the tuk tuk ride from Kep to Vietnam?

Bolton
Level Contributor
504 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam vs Cambodia

Hi BertieBoy.

We loved Cambodia. It's a beautiful country and the people very friendly and kind. Generally it's a very young population because of all the Khemer atrocities that took place.

We did not feel as hassled whislt travelling. The scenery, hills & temples very wonderful.

You'll love it. Let me know what you think.

Nic.